Nano Tank - 1st tank

introvert.invert_hba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hii!! New here and new to aquariums. Background is marine science with emphasis on microbiology and water quality.
Decided to get a tank on a whim over an adorable starfish I didn’t want to leave behind. Guy at PETCO (I know, I’m learning) helped set me up and said it *should* be okay to keep starfish and a snail. Obviously learned the hard way and now I’ve found a LFS. My tank is in the process of cycling. However, it is taking longer than expected. LFS guy told me my tank could cycle in a few days, but we are closer to a week with no living macrofauna.
I’ve had the tank for 2 weeks and the snail and starfish died within a day. Was given macroalgae propagules and accidentally left them in there for a week. Took them out once they started to die. Since I don’t have anything providing them with their phos.
I’ve been testing my water and my ammonia finally dropped. Waiting for nitrite and nitrate to do their thing. Now I have some sort of orange-ish algae growing on my rock, sand and glass. It is hair like on my rock.
Okay enough about my journey so far and more about how my tank is set up.
I purchased most of my tank set up from PETCO / PetSmart, again, I was aliment and on a whim or impulse purchase. Over $300 later…. Determined to make it work.
It is a 6gal TopFin corner tank that came with a filter, heater, thermometer and a lid with a LED light and feeding opening. I purchased boxed saltwater, oolite aragonite sand and the purple rock from these stores. The guy from petco modified my filter by removing the filter the tank came with and bio filter medium and fluval water polishing pad or filter floss (I think that’s the same). I did purchase a fan, but it was too much circulation and stirring up the sand. So I replaced it with a air stone bubbler.
I still a refractometer and a better water testing kit. I plan to keep this a FOWLR tank, sorta. No reef, but maybe a small fish with different invertebrates. I definitely want a starfish or two, cleaner shrimp and maybe this super chill mantis shrimp from the LFS. Still trying to decide who I want. :)
Anyways, this is my journey and learning the hard way!

Best fishes,
Hunter

D7F6FA89-4ED7-4E08-9C4A-F44C2FA1631E.jpeg 6A84AC66-0EC6-4CAE-86EF-6AE188C8ACB0.jpeg

OP
OP
introvert.invert_hba

introvert.invert_hba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hii!! New here and new to aquariums. Background is marine science with emphasis on microbiology and water quality.
Decided to get a tank on a whim over an adorable starfish I didn’t want to leave behind. Guy at PETCO (I know, I’m learning) helped set me up and said it *should* be okay to keep starfish and a snail. Obviously learned the hard way and now I’ve found a LFS. My tank is in the process of cycling. However, it is taking longer than expected. LFS guy told me my tank could cycle in a few days, but we are closer to a week with no living macrofauna.
I’ve had the tank for 2 weeks and the snail and starfish died within a day. Was given macroalgae propagules and accidentally left them in there for a week. Took them out once they started to die. Since I don’t have anything providing them with their phos.
I’ve been testing my water and my ammonia finally dropped. Waiting for nitrite and nitrate to do their thing. Now I have some sort of orange-ish algae growing on my rock, sand and glass. It is hair like on my rock.
Okay enough about my journey so far and more about how my tank is set up.
I purchased most of my tank set up from PETCO / PetSmart, again, I was aliment and on a whim or impulse purchase. Over $300 later…. Determined to make it work.
It is a 6gal TopFin corner tank that came with a filter, heater, thermometer and a lid with a LED light and feeding opening. I purchased boxed saltwater, oolite aragonite sand and the purple rock from these stores. The guy from petco modified my filter by removing the filter the tank came with and bio filter medium and fluval water polishing pad or filter floss (I think that’s the same). I did purchase a fan, but it was too much circulation and stirring up the sand. So I replaced it with a air stone bubbler.
I still a refractometer and a better water testing kit. I plan to keep this a FOWLR tank, sorta. No reef, but maybe a small fish with different invertebrates. I definitely want a starfish or two, cleaner shrimp and maybe this super chill mantis shrimp from the LFS. Still trying to decide who I want. :)
Anyways, this is my journey and learning the hard way!

Best fishes,
Hunter

D7F6FA89-4ED7-4E08-9C4A-F44C2FA1631E.jpeg 6A84AC66-0EC6-4CAE-86EF-6AE188C8ACB0.jpeg
If I could go back, I would have definitely built a tank rather than buying a tank kit.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mantis shrimp should be kept as a species only invertabrate system. They will kill everything else in the tank and they can get big.
That said a 6g system will be require close attention to parameters to keep it stable.
Oh and....
giphy (1).gif

OP
OP
introvert.invert_hba

introvert.invert_hba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mantis shrimp should be kept as a species only invertabrate system. They will kill everything else in the tank and they can get big.
That said a 6g system will be require close attention to parameters to keep it stable.
Oh and....
giphy (1).gif
Thank you for the info!!! My LFS has a female spearing mantis shrimp that is rather large and very chill in a tank with other inverts. They told me she would be fine in the tank- but I’m not sure I will actually get her. She is precious though and they have had her for awhile. She just hides in her cave most of the day and apparently comes out to swim a few laps. I appreciate your info!!

OP
OP
introvert.invert_hba

introvert.invert_hba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update - I had to redo my build as my cheap-o tank was putting an electrical current in my water. I will create a new build thread and have it linked to my bio!
xo

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back