Nano Tank Beginner (Coralife 32g LED)

FloridianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a brand new Coralife 32 LED tank for a good deal off Amazon for $231. So I decided to get back in the hobby, they say once your in the hobby and you quit that you'll be back eventually. I used to have a 90 gallon tank in my early 20's it ended up being too much to handle finically and practically, I ended up joining the military and traveling all over the world so needless to say that didn't last long. Now things have settled down I know a smaller tank will be much more manageable . I have some experience in the hobby but that was about 10 years ago. Allot has changed and LED lighting was not in the picture back then. So that's about me and my aquarium background, I have a few questions for the forum. I want to put together a shopping list for my new tank. I'll be ordering everything for the tank online so links work great.

I need to know what's the best skimmer for this size tank I have and which one will actually fit?
What salt brand is the best out right now?
Which chemical filter media should I be using?
What's a good inexpensive RO/DI unit to get?
Good refractometer and ect, what ever else I might need?

Thanks for any suggestions.

OP
OP
FloridianReefer

FloridianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Tunze 9001 skimmer in my BioCube 29G and Chemipure Blue in an inTank media basket.

Check out their page with items for your aquarium:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/LED-BioCube-32_c152.htm

Scruba, Awesome link, one stop shop! That Tunze 9001 skimmer looks allot better than the coralife skimmer. I was thinking at a 30 dollar price tag on the coralife skimmer I'm not sure if it would be any good.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the Tunze 9001 running for 3 years now without any issues. Seems to work good but this is my first SW tank so I have nothing to compare to. It did take awhile to break in and you have to be good at keeping the water level at the correct level for max performance.

Good luck with your build. just remember to go slow. I had a lot of hair algae issues at first but now after 3 years my tank is looking good and running great with very little intervention.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not read ANY good reviews on Coralife skimmers and u can't go wrong with the Tunze. They're a bit pricey but worth the money. Chamber 1 in the Biocube is the perfect place for it. U'll have to pull out the bottom plate to get it to fit but it's no big deal. Nice score on the tank!

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 9001 dc but I would also recommend an ATO because I think the consistent water level makes them much easier to use.

OP
OP
FloridianReefer

FloridianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not read ANY good reviews on Coralife skimmers and u can't go wrong with the Tunze. They're a bit pricey but worth the money. Chamber 1 in the Biocube is the perfect place for it. U'll have to pull out the bottom plate to get it to fit but it's no big deal. Nice score on the tank!
What do mean by removing chamber 1?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a brand new Coralife 32 LED tank for a good deal off Amazon for $231. So I decided to get back in the hobby, they say once your in the hobby and you quit that you'll be back eventually. I used to have a 90 gallon tank in my early 20's it ended up being too much to handle finically and practically, I ended up joining the military and traveling all over the world so needless to say that didn't last long. Now things have settled down I know a smaller tank will be much more manageable . I have some experience in the hobby but that was about 10 years ago. Allot has changed and LED lighting was not in the picture back then. So that's about me and my aquarium background, I have a few questions for the forum. I want to put together a shopping list for my new tank. I'll be ordering everything for the tank online so links work great.

I need to know what's the best skimmer for this size tank I have and which one will actually fit?
What salt brand is the best out right now?
Which chemical filter media should I be using?
What's a good inexpensive RO/DI unit to get?
Good refractometer and ect, what ever else I might need?

Thanks for any suggestions.
I upgraded return pump to a Sicce 1.5 to get a lot more flow, added the Intank Media basket in second chamber and also use an Aquaticlife 115 skimmer mounted in second chamber with help of an acrylic coated magnet (no modifications necessary and hood closes easily) Couldn't be happier with water quality and ease of maintenance.

I use the Pacific Sun Sentry optical skimmer in another tank and have been impressed with its performance.

Biocube 29 and Biocube 32 have different hoods and what fits without mods in one won't necessarily fit in other.

Good luck, I really like the tank.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Ice Cap ATO but I use an osmolator as well and have been happy with both. The Ice Cap is $75 cheaper though.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do mean by removing chamber 1?
Unless they've changed the design, chamber 1 has a slotted baffle about 1/2 way down that needs to be removed if you plan to use that chamber for your skimmer. It should pull right out, unlike my 14g that requires cosmetic surgery. If u use chamber 2 it's not an issue, you just have to ensure the skimmer you choose will allow the top to close.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless they've changed the design, chamber 1 has a slotted baffle about 1/2 way down that needs to be removed if you plan to use that chamber for your skimmer. It should pull right out, unlike my 14g that requires cosmetic surgery. If u use chamber 2 it's not an issue, you just have to ensure the skimmer you choose will allow the top to close.

This is no longer the case. Chamber one does not have the baffle. It is open and you can now fit other equipment in the space. I have found the Lifegaurd nano top flow reactor fits so you can use Biopellets and the Via aqua acrocal calcium reactor fits. If for some reason you wanted a calcium reactor on a nano. (Seems ridiculous I know but I am really tempted to try this) the tunze 9001 will not fit in chamber 1 and the AquaticLife mini skimmer 115 will not fit once the canopy is closed but it can be modified to fit.

OP
OP
FloridianReefer

FloridianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is no longer the case. Chamber one does not have the baffle. It is open and you can now fit other equipment in the space. I have found the Lifegaurd nano top flow reactor fits so you can use Biopellets and the Via aqua acrocal calcium reactor fits. If for some reason you wanted a calcium reactor on a nano. (Seems ridiculous I know but I am really tempted to try this) the tunze 9001 will not fit in chamber 1 and the AquaticLife mini skimmer 115 will not fit once the canopy is closed but it can be modified to fit.

Any idea which skimmer would fit in the tank I got with the hood closed other than the coralife skimmer?

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea which skimmer would fit in the tank I got with the hood closed other than the coralife skimmer?

The older Biocube 29G usually required the protein skimmer to go in chamber 2 (middle) due to lid interference in chamber 1. I do not believe that the new LED Biocubes have this issue.

Here is an older video about skimmers fitting in the older model of Biocubes.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The 9001 and AquaticLife 115 will fit in the second chamber if you swap the media basket out for the in tank one. The problem is the water level In The first chamber is high, but you can lower the water level in the second chamber. I have a AquaticLife mini skimmer 115 and 9001 DC and am overall happier with the 9001 but it is triple the cost and I can’t say it removes 3x as much. The Regular 9001 May be a good middle of the road option.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquaticlife 115 fits, does a pretty good job and is reasonably priced. And, you will want to get the Intank basket. Originally I used a 2" piece of pvc pipe with holes drilled in it to serve as a stand for the skimmer and it worked well. Then I decided I wanted a little more flexibility so I bought an acrylic coated magnet to hold it in place while allowing me to move it up and down in chamber two.
Once you get it tuned in it does a pretty good job.

OP
OP
FloridianReefer

FloridianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The older Biocube 29G usually required the protein skimmer to go in chamber 2 (middle) due to lid interference in chamber 1. I do not believe that the new LED Biocubes have this issue.

Here is an older video about skimmers fitting in the older model of Biocubes.

Great Video. Thank you.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 122 74.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back