Nano Tank Brands and Models

Discussion in 'Nano Reefs' started by Zack Pedersen, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Zack Pedersen

Zack Pedersen New Member

Hello Everyone!
    I have been out of the hobby for quite some time now. I started with a 30 gallon 6 years ago, upgraded to a 90 gallon 5 years ago, and sold it all 3 years ago. I have seen quite a few new nano tanks on the market, and have seen one nano tank in particular that caught my eye.

Well, I am ready to get back in the wonderful hobby.

The tank that caught my eye was the new Waterbox line. The LFS had the 10 gallon version for $149.

Anyone have experience with this brand? What other new brands or models are we seeing in the nano sizes?

Thanks in advance!

nautical_nathaniel likes this.

2. Tahoe61

Tahoe61 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018 Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to R2R Zack. :)

I have had a good deal of Nanos, just about every JBJ. I liked the 30 RL the best out of all of the other sizes. I currently have a JBJ 28, it's a good softy tank.

Innovative Marine makes a really nice tank. I have the 20 gallon and it's probably the easiest Nano to work in I have ever had.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-your-waterbox.331459/

3. Zack Pedersen

Zack Pedersen New Member

Thank you for the warm welcome! I appreciate your experience you shared with me. I am really digging the look of the Waterbox with the simplicity and sharp edges. I also liked a few of the newer Fluvals. I will have to look into the JBJ and Innovative Marine.

Sadly that thread does not have any of their Nanos.

4. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Welcome to R2R! :D

I'm pretty biased towards the Innovative Marine Nuvo 20, not hard to find one at or around $200 (you'll still need lights and a heater though). Can't beat it as far as value goes.

There's a ton of new nano tanks coming out though, such as the new JBJ Series of nano all in one tanks and the Cobalt Aquatics C-Vue tanks. Let me know if you have any questions about nanos in general, I've been running them exclusively for a while now and I'm happy to help :)

Luis leon likes this.
  5. Zack Pedersen

Zack Pedersen New Member

Thank you! I will take a look at the Nuvo 20. I will probably take you up on your offering!

nautical_nathaniel and JoshH like this.
  6. Luis leon

Luis leon Member

plase tell us about the new JBJ series how they compare with the Nuovo and also the cobalt aquatics

7. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

The JBJ tanks were introduced in MAy of last year and they come in a 25, 45, and 65 gallon: https://reefbuilders.com/2017/05/25/jbj-releases-the-new-rimless-midsize-flat-panel-aquariums/#

The C-Vue aquariums from Cobalt are also pretty new: https://reefbuilders.com/2016/11/04/c-view-all-in-one-aquariums-unveiled-by-cobalt-aquatics/

• Initial impressions for both: Both the JBJ and Cobalt aquariums look alot like the Innovative Marine tanks that have been around for a while. The low-iron glass on both is promising.
    • The JBJ tanks are pricey and don't come with as many accessory choices right off the bat as the Innovative Marine tanks.
    • The mitered corners on the cobalt aquariums looks sweet though and these tanks appear to be very affordable.
    • Both tanks don't have the upside down "T" chamber that the IM Nuvo 20 has (pictures for reference). I've had to nearly tear my whole tank apart to get a watchman goby out of there.

Cobalt C-Vue Back Chambers:
    [​IMG]
    IM Nuvo 20 Back Chamber:
    vgsdgsd.PNG

Luis leon likes this.
  8. Luis leon

Luis leon Member

thank you for the info.

9. lbacha

lbacha Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

If you are looking for a non AIO solution for a nano ADA "Aqua design Amano", ALA "Aqua Lab Aquaria" (I own a 8.2g shallow tank from them), Mr Aqua (I own a 25g 18" cube) are all great rimless aquariums.

10. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2019

Welcome Zack!

11. Zack Pedersen

Zack Pedersen New Member

That is fantastic info. It seems as if the filter space is utilized more in the JBJ and Cobalt. I will most likely be looking in the 10-15 gallon range.
    I would prefer the AIO, but thank you for the recommendation!
    Thank you! I was redirected to this forum from 3reef . I hadn't been active on there since 2013, so on my most recent post I asked this same question. One guys response said to come here because that page was dead sadly! So far the community here is great!

Draft saved Draft deleted