Nano Tank for Dwarf Lions

OrlandoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive been in the hobby for nearly a decade now succeeded in growing all types of coals even breeding clowns but Ive recently gone through a tank crash (the heater in my rock Anemone tank malfunctioned and brought the water to 90 degrees) it happens...Anyways I've taken this as an opportunity to sell my little 10 gallon and start a lion fish den. Ive slowly started researching how to care for them and it seems quite doable, Im looking at keeping a Fu Manchu and another lion that doesn't hale from the Pterois genus (I live in florida) still want a radiata or antennata so if you know of anything similar in appearance that would be cool but oh well. Anyways these two lions are all I would like to have and I'm wondering whats the best NANO tank for them I'm thinking of a simple Peninsula style tank to give them as much length as possible around 30 gallons but I would like to hear what the veteran lion keepers think I don't want anything bigger than a 40g (limited space) but at the same time I won't setup this tank if its unhealthy for the fish I want to keep these guys for their entire lifespan. I know putting fish in a tank that may be too small for them seems terrible but these will be the only two animals in the tank and will be designed specifically for there well being so I feel like it would work well. Let me know what you think and or reccomend.

FartyParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a dwarf lion in a 20g extra-tall for 3 years successfully, in a zoanthid-only with live rock setup. He was the only fish in there. In terms of movement, lionfish are pretty boring so i didnt feel the 20 gallons was too small, though i did have to adjust the flow and rockwork a little to keep him more satiated. I feed him frozen shrimp and an occasional live chromis.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Dwarf Zebra and Dwarf Fuzzy in a 40-gallon breeder and they have been very happy. They are eating PE Mysis and Reef Frenzy. I have only had them about 5 months but they eat like pigs and are growing well. I've thought about adding a Fu but am worried that 3 may be too much.

OP
OP
OrlandoReefer

OrlandoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a dwarf lion in a 20g extra-tall for 3 years successfully, in a zoanthid-only with live rock setup. He was the only fish in there. In terms of movement, lionfish are pretty boring so i didnt feel the 20 gallons was too small, though i did have to adjust the flow and rockwork a little to keep him more satiated. I feed him frozen shrimp and an occasional live chromis.
This is awesome thanks for the share maybe I’ll set something up similar to this

OP
OP
OrlandoReefer

OrlandoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Dwarf Zebra and Dwarf Fuzzy in a 40-gallon breeder and they have been very happy. They are eating PE Mysis and Reef Frenzy. I have only had them about 5 months but they eat like pigs and are growing well. I've thought about adding a Fu but am worried that 3 may be too much.
I’ve read that the Fu can be aggressive to other lions though yet I see them in so many tanks with other lions so I don’t know how valid that may be

OP
OP
OrlandoReefer

OrlandoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What filtration are you using

OP
OP
OrlandoReefer

OrlandoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind if I ask how much you payed for your 40 breeder I’ve been looking and there’s the 80 dollar ones and then the 259 dollar one from aquaeon I just want to know if the cheaper one is worth it

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in FL your choices are with the Dendrochirus genus, which would include the fu, fuzzy, zebra, and green Hawaiian. I would say a 40 breeder would be the smallest tank I would recommend. The fu would be comfortable in a 30, but the fuzzy would appreciate much more swimming space. Dwarf lions are much more active than you would think when they have space and are happy. I would say 50% perching and hanging in a cave and 50% cruising.

I kept a fuzzy and fu in a 30g for a couple of years and thought they were fine, but it was amazing when I put them in a larger tank. First off the fu may be the most challenging to convert to frozen food, and there is never a guarantee your lions will thrive on a dead only diet. The few post you read about how easy it was to get their lion to eat dead, there will a 100 others that had lions starve to death. I also say if you plan to keep dwarf lions, at least be prepared to feed live; and willing to continue a live diet if they are unable to be converted. There's also such added benefits to at least feed your lions live a few times a month or better yet at least once a week. These lions tend to be more active, vibrant, and live longer in captivity.

Here's a shot of my lions on the prowl:

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in FL your choices are with the Dendrochirus genus, which would include the fu, fuzzy, zebra, and green Hawaiian. I would say a 40 breeder would be the smallest tank I would recommend. The fu would be comfortable in a 30, but the fuzzy would appreciate much more swimming space. Dwarf lions are much more active than you would think when they have space and are happy. I would say 50% perching and hanging in a cave and 50% cruising.

I kept a fuzzy and fu in a 30g for a couple of years and thought they were fine, but it was amazing when I put them in a larger tank. First off the fu may be the most challenging to convert to frozen food, and there is never a guarantee your lions will thrive on a dead only diet. The few post you read about how easy it was to get their lion to eat dead, there will a 100 others that had lions starve to death. I also say if you plan to keep dwarf lions, at least be prepared to feed live; and willing to continue a live diet if they are unable to be converted. There's also such added benefits to at least feed your lions live a few times a month or better yet at least once a week. These lions tend to be more active, vibrant, and live longer in captivity.

Here's a shot of my lions on the prowl:
What do you think about a Fu, Fuzzy and Zebra in a 40 Breeder?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about a Fu, Fuzzy and Zebra in a 40 Breeder?

I actually prefer a fuzzy or zebra in a 4' tank, a 55g being the smallest; so in a 40 I wouldn't suggest more than 2. My lions will hang together in a cave like a bunch of bats, but they are also moody and need their own cave and cliffs to perch. That's a 90g in my vid and you can see it's busy. Like I said earlier, the dwarf lions are misunderstood because so many times they are kept in tanks too small.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually prefer a fuzzy or zebra in a 4' tank, a 55g being the smallest; so in a 40 I wouldn't suggest more than 2. My lions will hang together in a cave like a bunch of bats, but they are also moody and need their own cave and cliffs to perch. That's a 90g in my vid and you can see it's busy. Like I said earlier, the dwarf lions are misunderstood because so many times they are kept in tanks too small.
Makes sense, thanks for the advice

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you suggest any other fish in a 40 Breeder with a Fuzzy and Zebra?

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
longnose hawkfish, bluespot jawfish, striped fang blenny, clarkii, tomato or maroon clownfish are all compatible with dwarf lionfish (from personal experience), aslong as none of them are small enough to fit into the lions mouth. Possibly a six line wrasse too.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back