Nano tank issues with low nutrients

trietnguyen000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an all in one aquatop 24gal cube. I have four acro frags and running an AI 16hp. The frags seem like they are doing fine with the oldest frag (TSA rainbow sherbet) encrusting and coloring nicely over two months.

One concern is that my nitrate and phos have been undetectable (testing with Red Sea algea control pro). I stopped running the protein skimmer and started feeding my three fishes more. Now nitrate is 0.1 and phos is around .01. I have a sumpless ATO with a surface skimmer running.

I’m new to the hobby and looking for input on how to successfully maintain 4ppm-5ppm without having to dose nitrate?

OP
OP
T

trietnguyen000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns and a fire goby. I guess I can add a damsel or two.

i think I’ll try NeoNitro. Is the NeoPhos a must have with NeoNitro? Thanks

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feed more.
I have 3 fish in the exact same tank.
You dont need a skimmer, imo.
I do not run one.
No3 <3
Po4 .037
Both tested yesterday.
My system is loaded with 32+ corals, 95% acros.
It just turned 3 months.
I do run 2 16hds.
20220429_153101.jpg

OP
OP
T

trietnguyen000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, so I added two damsels and started adding NeoNitro. I also increased feeding frequency to twice daily 2 times a week(the rest of the weekday I do once daily). I also give 4mL of Red Sea AB Pro coral nutrition every other day.

I added enough NeoNitro to raise the tank by 5ppm. The phosphate is 0.03 (up from 0.01). I decided to raise nitrate to 10ppm (not a very good idea but a trusted coral vendor/friend told me he keeps his at between 15-20ppm).
So here are some visual changes to the tank: 1. Cyanobacteria started showing up on the sand pretty fast 2. Not much changes that I can see on the acros, 3. the zoas ( exosphere, burning embers, Wolverine, blue pop) colors are definitely popping, 4. the torch color also seems to improve and looks happier (could also be because I moved it to a different spot to decrease a bit of direct flow).

Lesson learned: making too many changes and too aggressively fast will back fired for sure…heard it many times but had to go through it to learn and…man…those cyano grow fast when condition is ideal for them!
I think I’m going to reduce and maintain nitrate at 5ppm and phos to 0.03-0.05ppm. It’s a hassle trying to get the cyano under control daily .

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back