Nano Tank | Sump upgrade | Skimmer or refugium?

Apayson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Y'all
I'd appreciate your advice on the next steps I'm about to take on my 13.5 gallon tank.
My sump has inadequate filtration & I'm wondering if I should upgrade my sump chambers to have 2 media baskets...or go with a skimmer or refugium in one of the chambers.

Images are attached below of the design flaws, current set up & potential solutions.

I have a mixed reef tank that is now 7 months old.
Inhabitants:
1 clown
5 nessarius snails
1 turbo snail
1 blue hermit crab

corals:
1 torch
1 favia
1 hydnophora
2 acros (added after I saw growth of the monti)
1 monitora digita

Rock:
Mix of dry rock + Live rock that was added months ago

I'm dissatisfied with the biological filtration in the tank, as my ammonia levels are consistently elevated.
I understand that a refugium won't solve that, but I believe the upgraded media basket will help.

I'm tempted to ditch the skimmer because I've decided to no longer use NOPOX. My corals don't like it & I'm having some cyano appear.

Potential causes of ammonia:
  • lack of good filtration in my sump
  • overfeeding brine shrimp over a long period of time
  • potential copepod & amphipod population & starvation? this arrived on my store bought live rock
  • Mix of dry rock & little live rock
  • Lack of beneficial bacteria? I recently added xport balls seeded with Microbacter Start to help with that
here are my readings the last 2 weeks
Sunday: I added seeded xport balls with Microbacter Start

This Wednesday's readings:
Alkalinity: 9.8 dkh
Salinity: 35
Ammonia: .4
Nitrite: .1
Nitrate: 5
Mg: 1380
Ca: 450

Last Wednesday's readings:
Alkalinity: 9
Salinity: 35
Ammonia: .6
Nitrite: .1
Nitrate: 4

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.42.41 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.42.50 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.43.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.43.34 AM.png

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Sump is extremely small on the Evo 13.5 , the more you add stuff the more you will restrict the flow causing detritus buildup. You can add them and it will work great.....you just have to keep up with maintenance or it will clog.

OP
OP
Apayson

Apayson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is extremely small on the Evo 13.5 , the more you add stuff the more you will restrict the flow causing detritus buildup. You can add them and it will work great.....you just have to keep up with maintenance or it will clog.
Thanks!

If you were suddenly stuck with this tank, what would you add/remove from this sump?

...Weekly maintenance & water changes is something that I never skip btw

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back