Nanobox duo on a 40 gallon breeder

Bluejillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a single Nanobox duo be enough for a 40 breeder with SPS?

Im trying to build a system that I can grow in. I know eventually I would want a mixed reef. Starting out with softies and LPS adding SPS once my tank matures and I sort of have some sense of how to take care of a saltwater tank.

Newtybar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the tank? It definitely has the PAR levels to support SPS all the way down to 16" within 10" from the center of the light (each way).

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it’d support SPS only in the very middle of the tank and if the pieces were perched up on the rockwork. This is coming from a fan of Dave’s work. Remember, your trying to light a 36” long tank with a 12” fixture. That a tall ask for any fixture of that size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bluejillo

Bluejillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it’d support SPS only in the very middle of the tank and if the pieces were perched up on the rockwork. This is coming from a fan of Dave’s work. Remember, your trying to light a 36” long tank with a 12” fixture. That a tall ask for any fixture of that size.

Hmm yeah thats what I figured. I could always just add a second one when Im ready for SPS. It should be okay for softies and some LPS though, yeah?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but realize the sides of your tank will be quite dim. Although it’s a 12” fixture, the pucks are only about 8” apart. Again, it’s a tall ask to cover a 36” tank. The duo is more appropriate for a 24” tank. Dave ran a Duo on his Innovative Marine Nuevo 25 (display area of 24x16x13) with success. I used a Large Retro (Duo equivalent) for my Biocube 29 (display area of 20x16x18).

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back