Naoko’s wrasse struggling

  • Thread starter Thread starter bjsreefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bjsreefer

Equal parts fish and child wrangler
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2025
Messages
789
Reaction score
581
Location
Florida, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all-

I got a naoko’s wrasse a week ago. It was totally fine and happy, nothing bothering it, eating fine when I noticed yesterday it was getting pulled into the gyro and hitting anemones and rock and struggling. I put him in an isolation box to get him out of current and protected. He is breathing fine, but will alternate between swimming at the surface getting air above it and lying upside down in the bottom of the box. the weird thing is I’m feeding him selcon soaked mysis… as soon as I do he flips upright and gobbles everything up he can get. Anything else I can do to help?
View attachment 20251027_122227_1AC7ED04-C6DA-4C5C-9979-525F0ECDD567.mov
 
Hey all-

I got a naoko’s wrasse a week ago. It was totally fine and happy, nothing bothering it, eating fine when I noticed yesterday it was getting pulled into the gyro and hitting anemones and rock and struggling. I put him in an isolation box to get him out of current and protected. He is breathing fine, but will alternate between swimming at the surface getting air above it and lying upside down in the bottom of the box. the weird thing is I’m feeding him selcon soaked mysis… as soon as I do he flips upright and gobbles everything up he can get. Anything else I can do to help?


Hi, that's a very clear case of what I term, "Unknown Neurological Wrasse Disease" or UNWD. The cause isn't known, and there is no cure. Most people think that this is caused by the fish injuring itself by running into something. I disagree with that assumption because there is never any sign of physical trauma and we never see this except in certain species of wrasse. I think it is some disease of the nervous system - bacterial or viral perhaps.

A public aquarium had a recent case and they are sending samples out for histopathology, so hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this.

Here is a post that I started about this syndrome:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/unknown-neurological-wrasse-disease-unwd.901856/
 
Hey all-

I got a naoko’s wrasse a week ago. It was totally fine and happy, nothing bothering it, eating fine when I noticed yesterday it was getting pulled into the gyro and hitting anemones and rock and struggling. I put him in an isolation box to get him out of current and protected. He is breathing fine, but will alternate between swimming at the surface getting air above it and lying upside down in the bottom of the box. the weird thing is I’m feeding him selcon soaked mysis… as soon as I do he flips upright and gobbles everything up he can get. Anything else I can do to help?


Hi, that's a very clear case of what I term, "Unknown Neurological Wrasse Disease" or UNWD. The cause isn't known, and there is no cure. Most people think that this is caused by the fish injuring itself by running into something. I disagree with that assumption because there is never any sign of physical trauma and we never see this except in certain species of wrasse. I think it is some disease of the nervous system - bacterial or viral perhaps.

A public aquarium had a recent case and they are sending samples out for histopathology, so hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this.

Here is a post that I started about this syndrome:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/unknown-neurological-wrasse-disease-unwd.901856/
So is it just going to waste away until it dies? It progressively gets worse until he can’t swim anymore at all?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new