Narrowed it down to 3 skimmers

charlestonreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’m down to these 3. Which one would you put on a 625 gallon (total system volume) set up?

life reef VS3-60”
MRC Pro-2
Bubble king Supermarin 250

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are all good.

I would use two, personally. I am a huge fan of two skimmers. I make sure that I have sump room for a few of them.

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the Orca pro 2 for years & and I love that skimmer. I am now running a super Marin 300 (got it for free) on a 300g system and it’s way too much. They are super efficient skimmers, pulling tons of air.
the only bad thing about the Pro2 is you can’t clean under the bubble plate; since it’s all glued down.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say Im a fan of Lifereef. While all of those are good choices, my lifereef is the best skimmer Ive ran.

OP
OP
C

charlestonreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't necessarily need the pro-2 but the pro-1 is rated for 500 gallons. I figured with total volume in the 625/650 range the 2 might make sense. So the overall consensus is to go LifeReef.... is anyone running a DC pump on their LR skimmer in an effort to not pull as much power?

U

User1

View Badges
I'm biased. I use a Lifereef. Purchased it in 1999 for a 100 gallon and using it today on my 210 gallon. I predict I'll be using it on the next upgrade in the range of 300 - 360 gallons. It just works.

Bias aside if you have 10 minutes or so I would recommend calling Jeff at Lifereef and talk to him. Let him know what you are planning, any concerns, and go from there. All I can tell you is that "I" like my Lifereef but it is your money :) A phone call or email may make an impression on you to help narrow it down.

OP
OP
C

charlestonreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly was sold on a BK until I talked to him the other day. He got all in my head about needlewheels not being the way to go etc. After some research that's why i started looking at his stuff as well as MRC

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly was sold on a BK until I talked to him the other day. He got all in my head about needlewheels not being the way to go etc. After some research that's why i started looking at his stuff as well as MRC
Wondering what was said to you in relation to why needle wheels are not the way to go? To me, if you are going to be using something like a life reef, I would look in bashsea skimmers.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lifereef only because its the tallest. That will greatly increase contact time.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't necessarily need the pro-2 but the pro-1 is rated for 500 gallons. I figured with total volume in the 625/650 range the 2 might make sense. So the overall consensus is to go LifeReef.... is anyone running a DC pump on their LR skimmer in an effort to not pull as much power?
When I purchased my skimmer from Jeff he wasnt very high on DC pumps, now this was about 5 yrs ago so keep that in mind. I went with a mag 24 for mine and have no regrets. However, I know some ppl who run DC pumps without issue so really up to you and your set up on which you want to use. I dont think you can wrong with either.

U

User1

View Badges
When I purchased my skimmer from Jeff he wasnt very high on DC pumps, now this was about 5 yrs ago so keep that in mind. I went with a mag 24 for mine and have no regrets. However, I know some ppl who run DC pumps without issue so really up to you and your set up on which you want to use. I dont think you can wrong with either.

I missed the question on DC pumps earlier. You are right - he isn't a fan. I don't think he still is either. When I bought mine he was offering Iwaki Japanese pumps. So that is what I used.

To the question on DC pumps though, yes. I run a Cor 15 powering mine and it works well. Is it optimal? I really don't know for sure as my tank is only 2 years into the upgrade and still maturing with the new rock. However, it pulls strong thick green gunk still and I like how the pump is controllable for small adjustments should it start to over skim due to my hands in the tank or certain coral foods.

So yes. In my use case the DC pump works great.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifereef here as well. I run a mag 36 on mine. I use a skimmate locker and empty it about every other day. Make sure you get one that has the removable top so if you ever have the need you can go taller.
C56B780D-F69C-4565-9414-2FA248B413F6.jpeg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with that size skimmer, but i vote for DC.
1. Quieter
2. Speed adjustable, to tune the load to the skimmer.
I believe it is possible to have to much skimmer, air and water, for a tank.
3. Might make battery backup easier
Had a vertex 150 with ac sicce, noticed the sound in the sump.
Have an Octo elite 150 running at 3/5 on 100 gal overstocked, pulling much more crud.

OP
OP
C

charlestonreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate the feedback guys. We're looking forward to getting it all set up. I'll have some closed loop design questions coming and lighting picks on another thread shortly!

Trivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Life reef fan. Had 3 other big brands prior and they all required too much fiddling to work well. LR are truly set it and forget it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back