Narrowing down my fish list.

Sonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on my potential list of fish would be greatly received. I know that the individual personality of each fish will change my decisions as i go along, but it would be great to have a plan regarding the order to add them in and cross off any definite no's!

My 425 XL was set up on Monday, and tomorrow I'll be transferring over the old one. The fish I already have are;

Regal Tang
Clown
Pink spotted gobi

I started a list and my children have added to it, I'm well aware this is far to many fish for the tank I have so want to get some crossed off!

Mandarin Pair-these are a must have, I have pod cultures at home to ensure a continuous supply, obviously I wont be adding them to a new tank though.
Stary Blenny
coral beauty
potters angel
flame angel
additional clown pair-Is it OK to add two when I have one existing clown (female) and does the species matter?
Laboutes/fairy wrasse
vrolikes wrasse
leopard wrasse
regal angelfish
blue throat trigger-hearing mixed things on this one, but I promised my children I would check
purple firefish
flasher wrasse
bellus angel
watanabai angelfish

Are wrasse ok to be mixed, or would it be better to get a pair of the same species. While I do want to get at least some of the fish my children would like, the well being of the fish and coral on a mixed reef come first!

Any advice gratefully received!

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have 3 of the fish on your list in my tank. A Leopard Wrasse, coral Beauty, and the Starry Blenny, all 3 of those are great fish. The Starry Blenny has a great personality and very cool to watch swim. I noticed you don’t have any Tangs on your list they are great utility fish graze all day long. I have 4 in my tank and never have to worry about algae. I have a Tomini, White tail, yellow, and a Desjardini all 4 get along great. On the blue throat he will limit your clean up crew options as he will kill and eat any hermit crabs,Emerald crabs, Snails, and shrimp

OP
OP
Sonja

Sonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have 3 of the fish on your list in my tank. A Leopard Wrasse, coral Beauty, and the Starry Blenny, all 3 of those are great fish. The Starry Blenny has a great personality and very cool to watch swim. I noticed you don’t have any Tangs on your list they are great utility fish graze all day long. I have 4 in my tank and never have to worry about algae. I have a Tomini, White tail, yellow, and a Desjardini all 4 get along great. On the blue throat he will limit your clean up crew options as he will kill and eat any hermit crabs,Emerald crabs, Snails, and shrimp
I already have a Regal tang, I wasn't sure about adding a second with the size of the tank, I might have to have another look if they are generally ok in groups.

The starry blenny is absolutely on there for the personality, I love watching them.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my blue throat trigger! Add great personality to the tank, can be shy at first but once settled will be very active!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so torn on the trigger, what’s been your experience with your snail etc, do they eat them?

Most triggers are not safe with inverts. Blue throat, and cousins sargasso and cross hatch are plankton eaters that should be reef safe.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 116 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back