Nasarius snails dying?

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've one blue legged hermit and two nasarius snails in a 15 gal. Yesterday one of the snails started acting really odd, writhing, not burying himself and going on his back. The other snail was fine today and is buried in the sand atm. I've seen other people say it could be copper but I don't have a test for that.
My parameters yesterday were ph-8.2, salinity -36, nitrites-0, nitrates-10, kh- 3meq/l, ammonia-0/far closer to 0 than to 0.2 colour wise.
Hermit crab has stopped hovering ands on the other side of the tank now.

Attachments

• VID20240103181156.mp4
    27.4 MB
  • VID20240103181127.mp4
    19.8 MB
OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sand is very white. Do they have enough to eat ? Do you feed them ?
I do feed them around once a day (though I was told to start feeding them more which I'll do). I've put him in a separator with a bit of an algae wafer, but no response.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, from what I recall with your other recent threads, I'd be concerned that they're either starving or that something in the environment is slightly beyond their toxicity threshold (meaning that it seems to me like it could be something like copper - or another toxin - at a level that's high enough to kill them slowly, but not right away).

I'd say to try feeding the rest a bit more and see how they do, and if they die over the next few days too, then I'd seriously check for potential toxins in the tank.

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, from what I recall with your other recent threads, I'd be concerned that they're either starving or that something in the environment is slightly beyond their toxicity threshold (meaning that it seems to me like it could be something like copper - or another toxin - at a level that's high enough to kill them slowly, but not right away).

I'd say to try feeding the rest a bit more and see how they do, and if they die over the next few days too, then I'd seriously check for potential toxins in the tank.
perfect, thank you!

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happened with my nassarius snails and in retrospect I think it was copper in my water. I recently noticed all the shiny copper water pipes in the basement of my building. No other snails seem to have an issue but maybe nassarius snails are just incredibly sensitive to it for some reason.

By the way, AFAIK they're primarily carnivorous so algae wafers aren't the best for supplementation but I doubt it died of anything starvation related regardless.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back