Naso and Blonde Naso tangs

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, about to upgrade to a 185 gallon. Currently have a baby blue tang in my biocube for QT, still has a couple weeks to go. Plan was to put him in a 70 until the end of the year, but I found a really good deal on a 185 gallon and am about to pull the trigger. I was curious if I can have a naso and a blonde naso together? I was thinking male/female pair, just not sure if it would work them being two kinds of naso’s??

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, about to upgrade to a 185 gallon. Currently have a baby blue tang in my biocube for QT, still has a couple weeks to go. Plan was to put him in a 70 until the end of the year, but I found a really good deal on a 185 gallon and am about to pull the trigger. I was curious if I can have a naso and a blonde naso together? I was thinking male/female pair, just not sure if it would work them being two kinds of naso’s??
Unfortunately both are too small for a 6’ tank and in the long term will need an 8’+ tank. However short term you may get away with both :)
As juveniles it’s hard telling males from females as the males get streamers but that’s only once they put on some size.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately both are too small for a 6’ tank and in the long term will need an 8’+ tank. However short term you may get away with both :)
As juveniles it’s hard telling males from females as the males get streamers but that’s only once they put on some size.
Oh okay I didnt realize they needed that much space! Any recommendations on other tangs? Was looking at a yellow tang as well and wanted to add one more if possible

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang
Purple tang
Gem tang
Convict tang
White tail Bristletooth tang
Scopas tang
Powder Blue tang (aggressive)
Powder Brown tang
Tomini tang.

I’m sure others can add to this.
Also remember that tangs have strong personalities (generally) and mixing them can be tricky.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay I didnt realize they needed that much space! Any recommendations on other tangs? Was looking at a yellow tang as well and wanted to add one more if possible
With tangs it’s not just their potential size but also how active they are. Nasos are more of an open water fish that’s why people will be hesitant to recommend them for 6 foot or smaller tanks. The yellow tang would be perfect in your 185!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With tangs it’s not just their potential size but also how active they are. Nasos are more of an open water fish that’s why people will be hesitant to recommend them for 6 foot or smaller tanks. The yellow tang would be perfect in your 185!
Sweet! Would putting him with my blue hippo be the limit of tangs that can live well with eachother? Or can I add one more to the mix?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Would putting him with my blue hippo be the limit of tangs that can live well with eachother? Or can I add one more to the mix?
IMO I think you could probably add a bristletooth tang with those two and be good in a 185. It’s when you start putting two of the same type of tang for example a yellow snd a purple together where you usually run into problems!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn’t do the yellow as there are nice fish out there to bring in that yellow look. For example;
- Yellow Canary Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
- Yellow Longnose Butterfly (Forcipiger longirostris)
- Foxfaces/Rabbitfish (Siganus sp.)

SDReefer77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I think you could probably add a bristletooth tang with those two and be good in a 185. It’s when you start putting two of the same type of tang for example a yellow snd a purple together where you usually run into problems!
Exactly what I was going to add on. Like you mentioned before with Tangs it's also level/type of activity and having just 2 of the same type/genus (i.e. Zebramosa), or body shape if you will. They tend to fight each other but leave the other Tangs alone for the most part. You can also run them in odd numbered groups of 5 or more but...space. The larger pack lessens the aggression so they don't just fight 1 on 1, they kinda get a little confused and bicker less.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I was going to add on. Like you mentioned before with Tangs it's also level/type of activity and having just 2 of the same type/genus (i.e. Zebramosa), or body shape if you will. They tend to fight each other but leave the other Tangs alone for the most part. You can also run them in odd numbered groups of 5 or more but...space. The larger pack lessens the aggression so they don't just fight 1 on 1, they kinda get a little confused and bicker less.
Exactly. I know from experience. I tried to put a yellow and purple together in my 180. Yellow was established and wasn’t having it lol. I tried everything to reduce aggression but nothing worked. In the end I had to choose. This was pre COVID and Hawaii ban. I got rid of the yellow. Boy if I could go back in time smh.

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix tangs using methods to reduce aggression but it’s no guarantee whatsoever.
Make sure they all have full bellies.
Introduce the new one in an acclimation enclosure and release after dark.
‘Make sure the new arrival is bigger than the established fish (or at least never the same size).
Introduce several at the same time.
‘Rearrange rocks to throw off established territory.
Use the mirror trick.
Be ready to take one out….and retry with another individual. Some fish are cool, some are jerks.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has grown very little over the past year but he’s bulked up nice.
How big was he when you got him? And is there a difference in size/temperament between males and females? Im leaning more toward a female, I think the body color is pretty

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big was he when you got him? And is there a difference in size/temperament between males and females? Im leaning more toward a female, I think the body color is pretty
Also wondering size because I have a 70 gallon now, but am upgrading to 180 or 200 in December of this year, if the fish would outgrow the tank by then

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 75 68.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back