Naso Tang $50 deal or not?

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just visited a super nice aquarium and had a chance to pick up a Naso tang which I thought it was a blonde naso for the same price tag and passed. I’m still thinking of going back to grab it due to the low price tag. It wasn’t eating the way I would’ve liked. Had live brine shrimp and spit them right out. I did see it nibbling at some algae not to long before the brine shrimp was added. What do you guys think buy or pass?

FBC346AE-637E-47D7-B9D1-8CD9F75041DC.jpeg

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, pass. $50 isn’t much of a deal for a regular naso. And also I remember a thread going around recently referencing a bad batch of wild caught nasos.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, pass. $50 isn’t much of a deal for a regular naso. And also I remember a thread going around recently referencing a bad batch of wild caught nasos.
I was thinking the same. It would be a great addition to my tank since I love the super oranges mouth.

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same. It would be a great addition to my tank since I love the super oranges mouth.
I hear ya, they are beautiful fish whether blonde or regular. Hands down one of my favorite tangs due to appearance and most of all their chill temperament!! If they didn’t top out at 2 feet and need so much swim space I’d keep multiples of them!!

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya, they are beautiful fish whether blonde or regular. Hands down one of my favorite tangs due to appearance and most of all their chill temperament!! If they didn’t top out at 2 feet and need so much swim space I’d keep multiples of them!!
Yea I’m going to buy it. I know at the end I’ll regret it.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’m going to buy it. I know at the end I’ll regret it.

What size is your tank? If it’s the 60 gallon cube that you mentioned in another post, it’s way too small for a Naso to be happy in. Especially if it’s only 2 feet long.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just checked that as well dmg ... this was all attempted in a 60 gallon tank
currently have clown fish swimming around in the 60g. I had a powder brown tang, Toby puffer, sailfin tang, and a blue jaw trigger fish but the all. passed. It’s hard getting certain fish to eat after being added to the tank not knowing too much from the supplier but I’m sure it may have been to human error as well. Tanking it slow as I’m already -$500 loss of fish.
We all impulse buy and when starting a new hobby want to jump right in and have an established tank but it takes time. I would suggest looking at liveaquaria for fish overviews and tank minimum requirements. Need to move much slower with the hobby and do research before purchasing any inhabitants

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just checked that as well dmg ... this was all attempted in a 60 gallon tank

We all impulse buy and when starting a new hobby want to jump right in and have an established tank but it takes time. I would suggest looking at liveaquaria for fish overviews and tank minimum requirements. Need to move much slower with the hobby and do research before purchasing any inhabitants
I went back and someone had already purchased the fish. My loss. My 60g is pretty well cycled now. The mentions of my previous fish that passed was months ago. I’ll be sure to time myself moving forward. My 60g is just the start plan on going bigger years down the line.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is the tank you’re putting the Naso into, it’s too new and clean as well as too small. And there’s not enough rock. Tangs need a mature tank to graze on the rocks between feedings. This won’t end well for the fish.

2383D526-DA3D-41BA-8EE7-E337B180761A.jpeg
I’m going with an open space concept with any and all of my tanks. Won’t have to much rock in this one. Planning on adding giant carpet anemones with zoa garden. The tangs I’ll be getting are only about 3”to4” and are cool in this tank for the short term. I keep the tank pretty clean, don’t like to much algae build up so I go in and clean most of it out since I don’t plan on getting a UV filter

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you shouldnt really have any tangs in this tank at all. These fish will begin to pace across the tank and when you see even the smaller ones in a huge tank you will understand how much they like their space. When in a 6' to 8' long tank to swim, they will still swim almost the whole span of the tank, just pecking rocks and going into and out of the rockwork.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

I couldn't agree more. My naso is my favorite fish. It's funny watching some of the smaller tangs in my tank try to get tough with her. She basically dwarfs them, and couldn't care less about them. Super laid back fish! In fact, I swear this fish is a peace keeper in the tank. I've seen her assert her dominance on the others quite a few times when they are picking on other fish. She definitely keeps everyone in line.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If this is the tank you’re putting the Naso into, it’s too new and clean as well as too small. And there’s not enough rock. Tangs need a mature tank to graze on the rocks between feedings. This won’t end well for the fish.

2383D526-DA3D-41BA-8EE7-E337B180761A.jpeg

100% agree. I'm not usually one to bust out the tang police badge, as I've been known to push the boundaries myself. But this is just going too far (assuming this is indeed the tank that OP wants to put a naso in). This tank is far too small for a naso.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm often one to recommend stretching the tang rules in a controlled setting, but I really don't think it will end well in this case, for a couple of reasons. For one, the maroon clown in there will beat up any fish once it has grown up and begins spawning. They usually occupy about a 2 foot cube in which they make their territory, and in your case, that means the whole tank. Perhaps some small/fast/bottom dwelling fish would escape its wrath, but not a tang. I also read on your thread that several tangs have faired poorly in the past in this system. I don't see why this one, or any others for that matter, would be different. Tangs usually need to be quarantined given their sensitive nature, and I don't believe that this fish has already been treated. Also, tangs from the genus Naso get absurdly massive and powerful, around 12" - 20" at adulthood. Even small specimens will require a 6' tank, and for an adult, an 8' or even 10' tank is really needed, unless the tank is also around 3' in depth. That's at least 18 square feet, while your tank is 4. I've personally seen a vlamingi tang (closely related) that had been spooked and rammed into the front of its 300 gallon at high speeds, and actually cracked the glass. It was saved and at the LFS when I saw it, and it was still around a foot in length. That's only half of its potential. Imagine how fast naso tangs can swim and accelerate, and one can see how cramped they would be in a 2' tank. These fish are probably best left in the ocean, to be honest. Not in a 60 gallon cube, certainly. I'm not trying to be rude here, I'm just trying to steer you away from a mistake. Instead of a naso tang, I might recommend trying a green chromis. They look somewhat similar, and as a surface swimmer, it should be safe with the clown. Small tanks are a great choice (I have a 3' 65 gallon myself), but they don't often mix well with big tangs. Everyone on the forum who is advising you (even those with the tact of a battering ram) are on your side, and we're just trying to help you succeed. Good luck, and sorry for the long post!

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s been stated to death by this point that your tank is not big enough for a naso tang. But to put it in one last way, your tang will not have enough swim space to stimulate its gut bacteria and digestion. My grow out tanks for my Nasos have been minimum 6 foot and packed with almost 30-40% rock to water ratio. They eat a LOT, more than my carnivorous fish by far. They will partake in almost everything I feed and contribute to a huge part of the bioload. Btw you might be surprised but a 3-4inch Naso will become a 8-10 inch naso within 8months or so. It’s the growth past 10 inches that slows down. But at that point in a 60 cube your fish would barely be able to turn. However, to be blunt I don’t think that will even be the issue for you, as a Naso in a 60gallon will likely be too stressed to eat properly likely not even live past one month. Hope those time lines help. And if you are really truly upgrading to a 180gallon tank in the next 3 months then go for it. Otherwise get the tank first then the fish!

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back