Naso Tang skin melting

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 days ago I see ich spots. He’s lethargic and not coming out as much. Barely eating too. Now I’m seeing his skin peeling today. This is the first time I’m seeing this on a fish, and it’s really creepy. I don’t think this fish is going to make it, but what can I do?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The head look likes hlle.

Ich could be the stressor causing it. Saddly you will have to qt all of the fish in copper or CP if this is the case.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him? Any new additions to the tank? Were your fish QT’ed?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what looks like an injury on the fish. Is it red? Any other spots on the fish?

Tough to see on my phone.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has sugary sprinkles on him. He’s the only fish with it.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Naso is covered in what appears to be a dusting of powdered sugar I’d say you are possibly dealing with Velvet. Brook can have a similar appearance and does cause skin sloughing. I would give him a FW dip to give him some relief. Here is a thread on each so you can compare what you see on the fish. Either way both are quick killers and you need to start treating immediately. Both will require a fallow period and a QT for all of your fish to be treated in.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these sick fish posts are why if I had a larger tank that was going to consist of more than the 2 clowns I introduced simultaneously into my nuvo 10 there's no way in hell I'd go without a qt.

A simple qt tank should be cheap and easy to set up.

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, most likely offenders here are velvet or brook (maybe even both)

I would give the fish a fw dip, followed by a 90-minute bath in acriflavine.

Then transfer to QT and treat with either:

1) Chloroquine Phosphate
Or
2) copper + metroplex (14 days of metro at 2 scoops per 10g)

Will need treated with copper or CP for minimum of 14 days, if transferred to a second, sterile QT (Preferred method). Copper or CP should not be lowered or removed prior to transfer.

If you are treating in a single QT, you’ll want to treat a minimum of 30 days.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And +1 that all fish will need to treated, and display left fallow for 6 weeks

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. It looks exactly like you described. I tried removing him last night, and I almost caught him, but he escaped and hid. I didn’t see him for the rest of the night. After work the next day, I found him dead under a rock.

I’m hoping it was just this fish that was ill. Because all the other fish are doing really well. I’m going to continue feeding them well with garlic in hopes I can build their immune system.

Thank you guys. I don’t really like saying when my fish die, but I feel like you should get an update because you seem as invested as I am.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. It looks exactly like you described. I tried removing him last night, and I almost caught him, but he escaped and hid. I didn’t see him for the rest of the night. After work the next day, I found him dead under a rock.

I’m hoping it was just this fish that was ill. Because all the other fish are doing really well. I’m going to continue feeding them well with garlic in hopes I can build their immune system.

Thank you guys. I don’t really like saying when my fish die, but I feel like you should get an update because you seem as invested as I am.

Unfortunately fish will not typically manage velvet or brook. If I were you in the interest of saving your remaining fish I would get a QT setup. I would give each fish a 90 min Ruby Reef Rally bath (helps with brook) then place them into QT and start raising the copper. I would dose metroplex at 2 scoops per 10G for 14 days (to cover Brooklynella). I think it’s only a matter of time before others start falling ill.

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, so sorry for your loss. Ugh. :(

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry :( thanks for keeping us updated. As mentioned above it’s very likely the other fish have been exposed, so at the very least I’d have a QT ready to roll, and watch them very, very closely...

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 161 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 56 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back