Naso with cloudy eyes

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy eyes on naso tang had him for almost a month and LFS QT it before brought home, any help on identifying and if I can dose anything to help. A1C78F83-A59E-4C60-A13A-B84A578D56AA.png
A1C78F83-A59E-4C60-A13A-B84A578D56AA.png
5CF8F24F-17EE-4EE3-84CA-84C8725A8959.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Appears to be flukes and you can start with a 5 minute frshwater dip the same temperature as display tank and then treat with PraziPro for eight day interval, perform a water change and treat for one more eight day interval.
As praziquantel can reduce both oxygen and appetite, add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment and assure to maintain water quality focusing on ammonia level

OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be flukes and you can start with a 5 minute frshwater dip the same temperature as display tank and then treat with PraziPro for eight day interval, perform a water change and treat for one more eight day interval.
As praziquantel can reduce both oxygen and appetite, add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment and assure to maintain water quality focusing on ammonia level
Do I need to do this in a QT tank or display tank for the treatment?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do I need to do this in a QT tank or display tank for the treatment?
While it can be done in display, I prefer quarantine to reduce risk of fluke worms falling off and seeking other host

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the second picture you can clearly see the flukes on his eyes. Not to downplay the risks, but I have successfully treated this condition with Prazi on a purple tang in the display tank when catching him would have been very difficult and I did not want the added stress of an undersized sterile QT tank.

OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the second picture you can clearly see the flukes on his eyes. Not to downplay the risks, but I have successfully treated this condition with Prazi on a purple tang in the display tank when catching him would have been very difficult and I did not want the added stress of an undersized sterile QT tank.
This is one of 7 fish I currently have, if I treat him in QT tank, then I run the risk of the other 6 having them correct, so I am thinking I need to treat whole display tank? Thoughts?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think these small bare QT tanks are very stressful on fish, especially if you have other fish in QT . I would do the whole display. I think it is less risky to the Naso and the other fish in QT. Flukes are not that difficult to treat. Take the advice of making sure you have good aeration, but I did not see any evidence of low oxygen in the fishes breathing patterns when I did it

OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think these small bare QT tanks are very stressful on fish, especially if you have other fish in QT . I would do the whole display. I think it is less risky to the Naso and the other fish in QT. Flukes are not that difficult to treat. Take the advice of making sure you have good aeration, but I did not see any evidence of low oxygen in the fishes breathing patterns when I did it
I am running two nero 5’s have some top water agitation, but should I add some type of air stone to the DIsplay tank? Or sump on the return? Also I am running UV do I need to stop it or continue with it? Also running skimmer, will it effect medication?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop the UV and the skimmer. I am pretty sure you need to. If the tank is not heavily stocked, you probably do not need any additional aeration. I did not, but I have a lot of aeration in my system with a small wet/dry section in my sump that I use for aeration. Keep an eye out for heavy breathing and increase the surface agitation if necessary. It would not hurt to add the airstone.

I was going to mention that a 2-3 minute freshwater dip will remove those type of flukes. Sometimes they come back. You do have to catch the fish and it can be stressful on the fish. I would probably still try the Prazi first

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of 7 fish I currently have, if I treat him in QT tank, then I run the risk of the other 6 having them correct, so I am thinking I need to treat whole display tank? Thoughts?
If both eyes are cloudy, then Neobenedenia flukes are a distinct possibility. Not all species of fish are affected by these, but most are. That means treating the whole is best. Neo can be tough to cure though - their eggs are not harmed by prazi. At minimum you’ll need to dose twice, 8 days apart. Some people have found dosing weekly for five weeks is needed.
I find that hyposalinity works better, but of course you can’t do that with invertebrates in the tank.
With prazipro, run skimmer with no collection cup, turn off the UV, no carbon and add extra aeration. You may need to do partial water changes between treatments to keep the nutrient levels down.

Jay

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If both eyes are cloudy, then Neobenedenia flukes are a distinct possibility. Not all species of fish are affected by these, but most are. That means treating the whole is best. Neo can be tough to cure though - their eggs are not harmed by prazi. At minimum you’ll need to dose twice, 8 days apart. Some people have found dosing weekly for five weeks is needed.
I find that hyposalinity works better, but of course you can’t do that with invertebrates in the tank.
With prazipro, run henslimmer with no collection cup, turn off the UV, no carbon and add extra aeration. You may need to do partial water changes between treatments to keep the nutrient levels down.

Jay
Jay meant skimmer, not henslimer

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the naso woke up this morning and found it dead in tank. Lost my pair of clowns yesterday too. Lost one clown in morning my wife found it, then the other one was very weak when I got home from work and died last evening. Sailfin and purple and tomini seem to be ok this morning. I am not sure if I should treat tank with something for safety of other fish? They all seemed to be a bit off on eating yesterday too. Any thoughts? Kinda of shocked fish had been great and nothing new had been added to the tank with this group. Clown were from my cycle period and the tang gang was added all at one time over a month ago.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay meant skimmer, not he slimed
Update on the naso woke up this morning and found it dead in tank. Lost my pair of clowns yesterday too. Lost one clown in morning my wife found it, then the other one was very weak when I got home from work and died last evening. Sailfin and purple and tomini seem to be ok this morning. I am not sure if I should treat tank with something for safety of other fish? They all seemed to be a bit off on eating yesterday too. Any thoughts? Kinda of shocked fish had been great and nothing new had been added to the tank with this group. Clown were from my cycle period and the tang gang was added all at one time over a month ago.
Sorry to hear. Did the clowns show any symptoms prior to death, rapid breathing or anything? Something else than flukes may be going on here.
One thing that can happen with heavy fluke infestations is the prazi kills the flukes and they drop off the fish, leaving hundreds of tiny holes in the fish’s skin, and they bleed to death. There isn’t any way to guard against that though, if you don’t treat them, the flukes will kill them eventually.

OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Did the clowns show any symptoms prior to death, rapid breathing or anything? Something else than flukes may be going on here.
One thing that can happen with heavy fluke infestations is the prazi kills the flukes and they drop off the fish, leaving hundreds of tiny holes in the fish’s skin, and they bleed to death. There isn’t any way to guard against that though, if you don’t treat them, the flukes will kill them eventually.
The clowns were a shock, they didn’t really show any signs that I noticed, but maybe I missed them do to watching the naso so closely. I have noticed the other fish are not as active and spend a lot of time hanging out in one spot of the tank for a while, closer to the sand bed and not top of water, they swim and move around the tank, just not as active and energetic as normal. I didn’t get a chance to treat with prazi yet, it is coming today as I didn’t have any on hand and the LFS is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. I also have ralley pro fish treatment coming too. Would I be ahead to use it over the prazi as it states it can treat multiple issues and the prazi seems to be more based for flukes? Thanks in advance for any thoughts and help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns were a shock, they didn’t really show any signs that I noticed, but maybe I missed them do to watching the naso so closely. I have noticed the other fish are not as active and spend a lot of time hanging out in one spot of the tank for a while, closer to the sand bed and not top of water, they swim and move around the tank, just not as active and energetic as normal. I didn’t get a chance to treat with prazi yet, it is coming today as I didn’t have any on hand and the LFS is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. I also have ralley pro fish treatment coming too. Would I be ahead to use it over the prazi as it states it can treat multiple issues and the prazi seems to be more based for flukes? Thanks in advance for any thoughts and help
Oh, I misunderstood - I thought you treated with prazi already.
Can you post a short video under white light of the remaining fish?
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back