Nassarius or Whelk?

mpatterson42

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2024
Messages
682
Reaction score
754
Location
Phoenix
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up 3 nassarius snails at the local fish store but wasn't paying too much attention when they were taking them out of the tank. I started drip acclimating and I'm now wondering if these are whelks instead of snails. I took a few pics, but none of them have their snorkel out. Should I put them in my refugium chamber just to be safe?

1785615039669.png


1785615053624.png


1785615078331.png
 
Looks like a nassarius to me. You’ll know for sure if you put it in the tank and they spend most of their time under the sand. Both are whelks but predatory whelks do not go under the sand.
 
Thanks, I moved one to my display tank, it started moving around and did have a foot behind it, it then buried itself, so I think there's a pretty high chance they're nassarius!

Videos:





 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 34 32.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new