Nat's 16 Gallon Macro Algae Anemone Tank

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am getting started in the hobby and have been posting my questions here for the last couple weeks about my planning for my first true build. I have mostly finalized my plans, and my equipment has begun arriving at my home. I wanted to start a build thread to document my progress and provide opportunity for feedback on my process.

The inspiration for this tank comes from some amazing macro algae-centric aquariums on the internet, my experience with freshwater planted tanks, and my love for both anemones and the invertebrates they like to host.

Here is a list of my main equipment:

Finnex Planted+ Full Spectrum Light 24"
Waterbox Clear Mini 16 Tank
Seachem Tidal 55 Filter
Eheim Jager 100 Watt heater
Tunze Osmolator ATO (planned)

I went ahead and also bought the RO Buddy RODI system. I live in a relatively small studio so I am going to hook it up to my shower whenever more RODI water is needed. The 50gpd version should be more than enough for my purposes.

As for stocking the aquarium I am trying to be mindful of my equipment limitations and tank size so I am not sure if fish would make sense here but I am open to suggestions!

Here is my stocking plan for invertebrates:

1x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1x Pitho Crab
1x Porcelain Crab (should hang out in anenomes)
4x Sexy Shrimp (should hang out in anenomes)
6x Nassarius Snails

As for anenomes/coral here is what I was thinking (I think they should work with moderately strong white light):

1x Colt Coral
2x Rock Flower Anemone

Finally for macro algae I want to stick to two main contrasting types (one for red and one for green):

Red Ogo
Caulerpa Prolifera

I am going to be starting with 17 pounds of reef saver dry rock from BRS and a bag of Caribsea Arag Alive Sand.

My vision is to put the HOB filter at the back of the tank and run it peninsula style with gradually sloping rockwork upward to the front of the tank. Some of my equipment has come in and this is what it looks like set up!!

!

My best,

Nat
DSC_1168.JPG DSC_1169.JPG DSC_1170.JPG DSC_1165.JPG

I am really excited to see where my journey takes me and I am always open to suggestions!!!!!

-An Excited Newbie :)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the new adventure! I am also a big fan of rock flower anemones!

OP
OP
natattack

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the new adventure! I am also a big fan of rock flower anemones!
Glad to hear it! The HOB produces 250gph of turnover. Do you think the anemones would benefit from more flow or would this be okay? I am not opposed to adding something like a nero 3 as needed. Also with the light I had a quick question. Here is the PAR data. I am thinking of building my aquascape around some lofty perches for the anemones. Would this amount of light work? Sorry for all the questions but you seem like you might have some answers haha.

1699832886520.png

OP
OP
natattack

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates!!!

Finally got all the equipment onto the tank, rockwork built, sand placed, and water added! We are off and running.

Also, I think I finally finalized my stocking!

Invertebrates:
2x Orange Pistol Shrimp (Mated Pair)
1x Blue Porcelain Crab
6x Nassarius Snails
2x Cerith Snails
1x Harlequin Serpent Starfish

Macro Algae/Plants:
Red Ogo
Caulerpa Prolifera
Red Mangrove
Blue Hypnea

Stationary Inverts:
2x Rock Flower Anemone
1x Photosynthetic Plating Sponge

Right now I just need to figure out how to cycle it. I am torn on the best way to go about this and when I should be adding my macro algae. Let me know if any of you have suggestions on that!

IMG_3941.jpg IMG_3940.jpg IMG_3939.jpg IMG_3938.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates!!!

Finally got all the equipment onto the tank, rockwork built, sand placed, and water added! We are off and running.

Also, I think I finally finalized my stocking!

Invertebrates:
2x Orange Pistol Shrimp (Mated Pair)
1x Blue Porcelain Crab
6x Nassarius Snails
2x Cerith Snails
1x Harlequin Serpent Starfish

Macro Algae/Plants:
Red Ogo
Caulerpa Prolifera
Red Mangrove
Blue Hypnea

Stationary Inverts:
2x Rock Flower Anemone
1x Photosynthetic Plating Sponge

Right now I just need to figure out how to cycle it. I am torn on the best way to go about this and when I should be adding my macro algae. Let me know if any of you have suggestions on that!

IMG_3941.jpg IMG_3940.jpg IMG_3939.jpg IMG_3938.jpg
aquascape looks great!

OP
OP
natattack

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so some pretty big updates!

1. My ATO came in so no more manual topping off
2. Started my cycle with some liquid ammonia and quickstart
3. Got a sick deal on an AI Prime 16 for 180 dollars for black Friday at an LFS

Therefore, I decided to go for a LPS heavy reef but keep the anemone and invertebrate theme!!! Also, this will mean I will have two separate symbiotic relationships on display with the porcelain crabs and anemones and the shrimp goby and pistol shrimp!!!

Here is my new stocking plan (let me know if this looks solid):
Invertebrates/FishCoral
1x Pistol ShrimpFrogspawn/Euphilia
1x Blue Porcelain CrabDuncan Coral
6x Nassarius SnailsCandy Cane Coral
2x Cerith SnailsVarious Zoanthids
1x Red Emerald Crab2-3x Rock Flower Anemone
1x Orange Spotted Shrimp Goby

OP
OP
natattack

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4163.jpg

THE LIGHT IS ON!!!

My cycle is almost finished as well. Need to decide what to stock first.

Only other stocking change I have is I think I am going to add a Tailspot Blenny. Let me know if that sounds alright.

saltybagel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Love this build!! I'm just starting up a 40g macroalgae tank as well after a break. Excited to see how yours comes along!!
Personally think a tailspot blenny would be a great addition. It stays small, it's reefsafe and will be able to provide some additional movement swimming around and perching on the rockwork.

Diastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! Can't wait to see the macroalgae go in, I'll be following along.

OP
OP
natattack

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some big updates!!!!

1. Set up my ATO
2. Acquired a cleanup crew (3 blue legged hermits (with coralline) and 3 nassarius snails)
3. Picked up an extra 250gph powerhead from Sicce
4. Built a jumpguard mesh lid to prevent livestock loss

Now for what I need help on-- basically the light I bought is the AI Prime 16HD for the rock flower anemones. However, I am not sure how well this will grow macroalgae/the optimal settings to balance both of their needs.

I still would love to do macro algae and rock flowers but another idea has really gotten my attention:
rock flower anemones on the bottom section of the tank with a giant euphylia garden on the tops of the rocks...

Not sure what to do and would love some advice (especially on a good light spectrum).

Finally, when would be a good time to add new stuff/coral/anemones? I am seeing everything from "as soon as it cycles" to "after 6 months" on the internet and these forums.

IMG_4495.jpg IMG_4728.jpg IMG_4490.jpg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is suggested 150-200 par for rock flower anemones but mine have moved around and a couple are in really low par and loving life. One is under a ledge without direct light and has been there a long time. Since they are capable of moving if they aren’t happy I’ll assume it is happy. Once cycled you’re going to need some consistent nutrients in the water. Nitrates at about 10-15 and phosphates of about.05-.1 to keep lps happy. I would start with easier ones like candy canes and duncans to start.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a lot of details for first tank. Kudos to your progress.

Neither rock anemones nor macros are fussy about light intensity are spectrum Tanks are easy to operate at less intense light. For my viewing pleasure, I operate at 10K spectrum. A Caribbean reef at noon is 5K.

I think you are in for a rude awakening using dry sand & rock. All you have in your system is bacteria. Your new tank syndrome will lengthen the uglies.

Consider adding biodiversity with a piece of diver collected live rock from the Gulf of Mexico.

This is my 75G display at 25 years mature. With 10K color spectrum. Your blue light will wash out reds, yellows & greens.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
natattack

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a lot of details for first tank. Kudos to your progress.

Neither rock anemones nor macros are fussy about light intensity are spectrum Tanks are easy to operate at less intense light. For my viewing pleasure, I operate at 10K spectrum. A Caribbean reef at noon is 5K.

I think you are in for a rude awakening using dry sand & rock. All you have in your system is bacteria. Your new tank syndrome will lengthen the uglies.

Consider adding biodiversity with a piece of diver collected live rock from the Gulf of Mexico.

This is my 75G display at 25 years mature. With 10K color spectrum. Your blue light will wash out reds, yellows & greens.
my light thankfully goes down to 5000K pretty comfortably in the settings. ya i’m honestly kind of afraid of the new tank syndrome uglies. idk what order to add stuff to minimize it but maybe it will just be a slog any way you slice it. i’ll be sure to look into some live rock! beautiful display btw!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my light thankfully goes down to 5000K pretty comfortably in the settings. ya i’m honestly kind of afraid of the new tank syndrome uglies. idk what order to add stuff to minimize it but maybe it will just be a slog any way you slice it. i’ll be sure to look into some live rock! beautiful display btw!
You might check with local lfs’s, they sometimes get nice live rock from tank tear downs. But as @Subsea said you can’t go wrong with Gulf Live Rock.

OP
OP
natattack

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some updates!!! Cycling is definitely complete. And! Algae has arrived. I got some red ogo, pom pom, and sea lettuce. Everything has been looking great for about a week. Going to get a snowflake clownfish and skunk cleaner shrimp next weekend. Super excited to share updates as more happens.

Attachments

• IMG_6580.jpg
    IMG_6580.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6584.jpg
    IMG_6584.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6579.jpg
    IMG_6579.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 23

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back