Natural sand from sea or AF Life Source?

CFR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've just finished cycling my tank and I'd like to introduce more biodiversity before stocking it. I already have a piece of live rock in my tank, as well as some bio balls in my HOB filter, both donated by a fellow hobbyist. The substrate is Caribsea Arag-Alive and the hardscape is Marco rock and dry/dead reef rock. I was thinking of going to a nearby beach and get some sediment/sand, but then I saw that Aquaforest sells a product called Life Source, which is mud from the ocean. That's my dilemma. Should I go directly to the source (a beach 1 and a half hours away by car) or just dose AF Life source?

Cheers!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

I've just finished cycling my tank and I'd like to introduce more biodiversity before stocking it. I already have a piece of live rock in my tank, as well as some bio balls in my HOB filter, both donated by a fellow hobbyist. The substrate is Caribsea Arag-Alive and the hardscape is Marco rock and dry/dead reef rock. I was thinking of going to a nearby beach and get some sediment/sand, but then I saw that Aquaforest sells a product called Life Source, which is mud from the ocean. That's my dilemma. Should I go directly to the source (a beach 1 and a half hours away by car) or just dose AF Life source?

Cheers!
Part of the answer depends on what beach you live near. many beaches are fairly polluted (or could be) and 'biodiversity' that for example thrive on a beach in Seattle may not do so well in a tropical reef tank. Additionally wild beaches may have other issues with unwanted pests, etc.

I would consider allowing your biodiversity to increase each time you add something (like a CUC, coral, fish, etc). I'm not sure AF Lifesource is a 'mud from the ocean' - instead it seems to be a mineral supplement derived from 'Fiji' - and requires dosing 1x/week. "

AF Life Source – the ultimate natural biology booster for thriving saltwater aquariums and coral’s health​

100% natural deposit derived from the cleanest waters of the Pacific – from Fiji. It is perfect as a buffer to enhance microbiology in saltwater aquariums. Biological stabilization is a crucial factor for corals health. Using the AF Life Source provides corals access to components and minerals derived from the natural environment. The product is also an excellent complement an algae refugium and DSB."

I'm not sure there is any quick or permanent way to add biodiversity to a tank.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't take sand from a beach. The waves act as a skimmer so the sand there is really dirty and God only knows what things are loving in it that could cause hell in the tank. I'd go with the af product myself, just knowing that it's been screened and seeded with things that'll for sure be beneficial to the tank is worth the peace of mind.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - Also - there are plenty of ways to do an aquarium. If you personally feel that biodiversity is important (Maybe you could explain why in your specific aquarium) - there are many ways to at least temporarily increase it. However, the main way to do is it is adding living things into your tank IMHO. Every organism in a tank has a Niche - and once established adding more 'diversity' often means one of 2 things, either the old bacteria are replaced by new bacteria of a different type - or the old bacteria fight off the new bacteria - and the net 'diversity' stays the same.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with MnFish, adding cleanup crew and corals will bring plenty of bacteria to the system. Anything with a reef tank needs to take time. Trying to Jumpstart something could cause issues down the line. But if you're dead set on adding in something, I'd go with the clean product over wild sand any day of the week. Not saying that it won't work, there was someone that reefbum had on his live stream that had an ooolllddd tank that was built from wild rocks and sand, as well as some asphalt that was sitting in the ocean and he had hardly any issues.

So all in all it's your decision. If it were me I'd just wait and add some hermits and snails

OP
OP
CFR

CFR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your replies!

Let me put things into perspective.

It's been 5 years since I shut down my previous SW tank. I rushed it and things went south pretty quickly. I'm not making the same mistake again.

Last year I went back to basics, setting up a FW planted tank. I thought that if I could do this right, then I could move on to a reef tank. I'm not saying a FW is the same as a reef tank. But I had to start somewhere. Anyway, after a lot of research and posts on forums I set up a 30 l planted tank using Tropica's Aquarium soil and 2-3 pieces of rock; and followed the Dark Start method. I added Tetra SafeStart bacteria with Dr Tim's ammonium chloride, covered it completely and forgot about it. The nitrogen cycle was complete in about 3-4 weeks. But I kept it in the dark for 2 more months. Then I added a light, a few fish, an Amano shrimp and filled it with plants. It cruised through the ugly stage in 3-4 weeks. First came the diatoms, then the hair algae and last was the cyano. All of them disappeared as fast as they came, except for the cyano. It went away in 2 weeks after I added some sediment from a river spring and Fritz 360. Run without any issues after that. Then I wanted to see if the tank could stay balanced without any maintenance. So I abandoned it completely for 8 months. No water changes, except topping up the water, no trimming. I didn't even clean the glass or the canister filter. The only thing I was doing was feeding the fish and dosing CO2 and fertiliser. Agains all odds, the nano tank stayed balanced. The funny thing was that the only time I cleaned the glass was one week after the cycle and it stayed clean ever since. I thought that was a success and I understood a few things about the biology of an aquarium. The most important: an established bacteria population will keep any intruders at bay.

Now I'm trying my luck with a 60 lt (around 50 lt net) reef tank following the same method. I set it up 10 days ago using Caribsea Arag-Alive sand and a combination of Marco and dry/dead reef rock. Hooked up an Aquael heater (75W) with an Inkbirrd ITC-308Wifi, a Seachem Tidal 35 and a Jebao RW-4. I added Fritz Turbostart 900 with Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride (60 drops) and covered it up, so that's in complete darkness. A week ago a fellow hobbyist gave me a piece of live rock (which I put in the DT) and some bio balls (which I put in the filter). I spotted a couple of Micro Brittle Stars and a Bristle Worm in the rock; and a few Copepods on the DT glass. There was some algae on the rock, but it's gone now.

I'm using a Seachem Ammonia Alert to keep track of the ammonia. These are today's readings:

Salinity: 1.016 (Refractometer)
Temp: 27.5-27.8 C (Inkbird)
pH: 8 (Salifert)
NH3: 0.05 ppm (Seachem Ammonia Alert)
NO3: 50 ppm (Salifert)

I gather the nitrogen cycle is complete. Probably has been for the last couple of days. I'm doing a 50% WC today. I plan to add a Black Molly tomorrow and keep the tank covered for 2 more months. Then add the light, a bunch of soft corals and increase the biodiversity by adding a small amount of sand from the sea or AF Life Source. I'm going to dose phytoplankton and add more copepods, amphipods and isopods as well.

As you've already noticed I'm not rushing it. I do believe though that the only thing that helped keep my FW nano tank balanced, I dare say "pristine", was the sediment from the river, or Fritz 360, or a combination of the two. I live in England and the nearest clean beach is 1,5 hours away by car (according to this website).

I just thought that, what I did with my FW tank could, up to a point, be applied to my reef tank as well.

Cheers!

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, this question pops up on a semi regular basis and usually elicits answers that advise against it. Firstly, I think MnFish1 is correct suggesting that a large part of the answer depends on your collecting location.

I’ve added substrate from the ocean in plenty of tanks over decades without any negative effects and also use natural seawater. In saying that, I’m absolutely confident in the quality of the environment at my location. I also live in a sub tropical zone and have reef habitats close to shore.

I don’t and wouldn’t use beach sand though. My preference has always been coarser, shell grit based substrates found in turbid rock pool / reef habitats.

Lastly, it’s difficult to quantify the benefits of using natural seawater or substrates. I can say that I’ve seen more rapid colonisation of micro fauna when starting up systems. Never had any pest issues.

OP
OP
CFR

CFR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your replies. I think you've covered all bases.
I'll go with the slowest and safest method, improving biodiversity whenever I add corals, CUC, etc.
Cheers!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for your replies. I think you've covered all bases.
I'll go with the slowest and safest method, improving biodiversity whenever I add corals, CUC, etc.
Cheers!
I mean - many people add mud, etc - there is no issue if you want to do it - however if you do - I would do it in a sump - and before you make a final decision - I would wait for some more replies. For example @Paul B routinely adds mud, etc. to his tanks. Don't make a hasty decision - many can answer @atoll @Lasse

OP
OP
CFR

CFR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean - many people add mud, etc - there is no issue if you want to do it - however if you do - I would do it in a sump - and before you make a final decision - I would wait for some more replies. For example @Paul B routinely adds mud, etc. to his tanks. Don't make a hasty decision - many can answer @atoll @Lasse
I'm not hasty at all. It will take 2 more months before I add light anyway. I have plenty of time to make an informed decision. But your advice makes more sense at the moment.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been diving deeply into this as well. Currently I use AF lifesource and have had no issues. From what I understand it is live mud from the ocean in fiji. Smells like it too. My lps and sps seem to enjoy it and tank looks great the next day it clears.

I also have a small jar of live sand I got from Aquabiomics that sits in my sump with no issues. There is this thread that started out fantastic but then takes a dark turn about a possible pathogen from the mud and sand from the Keys so I would be cautious on where you purchase that stuff. I would think Aquabiomics being a lab would test their batches prior to selling. Hence why it costs more? I will be emailing them to ask this question when/if I purchase more.

The thread mentioned - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e...ies-in-my-tanks-updated-with-new-data.684209/

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
collect NSW if possible...you'll get all the biodiversity you need

OP
OP
CFR

CFR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been diving deeply into this as well. Currently I use AF lifesource and have had no issues. From what I understand it is live mud from the ocean in fiji. Smells like it too. My lps and sps seem to enjoy it and tank looks great the next day it clears.

I also have a small jar of live sand I got from Aquabiomics that sits in my sump with no issues. There is this thread that started out fantastic but then takes a dark turn about a possible pathogen from the mud and sand from the Keys so I would be cautious on where you purchase that stuff. I would think Aquabiomics being a lab would test their batches prior to selling. Hence why it costs more? I will be emailing them to ask this question when/if I purchase more.

The thread mentioned - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e...ies-in-my-tanks-updated-with-new-data.684209/
Many hobbyists say that their corals enjoy AF life source. Do we know what's in the mud that they enjoy?
collect NSW if possible...you'll get all the biodiversity you need
NSW? Could you be more specific?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running two tanks on natural sea water and one tank totally natural sand water sea weed
Collage_20231123_114400.jpg
IMG_20231118_144137.jpg

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but where do you collect it from?
I live in the UK and the sea here is full of turd-fish. :grinning-squinting-face:
Don't want other people's caca in my tank.
Since you live in the UK I would say collecting sand and seawater for your reef would not be a good idea. Different organisms live in tropical waters versus the water off UK coast. Whatever that lives in the colder water of the UK would perish under tropical condition and vice versa.

OP
OP
CFR

CFR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you live in the UK I would say collecting sand and seawater for your reef would not be a good idea. Different organisms live in tropical waters versus the water off UK coast. Whatever that lives in the colder water of the UK would perish under tropical condition and vice versa.

Good point! I guess I'll have to get by with whatever I buy from my lfs.

Then move to the U.S. - here it is full of hypodermic needles and used condoms...lol

I guess a vacation in the Caribbean would also work. I've already started saving and if my calculations are correct I'll be able to afford it in 5,983 years! :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back