lets talk about TBS sand & Biodiversity when stating a new system.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added TBS live sand to my IM SR80. I won't get into a debate about one sand over another, as that is as volatile as poking the sand police. All I will say is that @liverock turns out the most beautiful sand I have ever put in my tanks. (and I have tried lots of different types) TBS sand for the win. Hard core fan here. It's worth the investment.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added TBS live sand to my IM SR80. I won't get into a debate about one sand over another, as that is as volatile as poking the sand police. All I will say is that @liverock turns out the most beautiful sand I have ever put in my tanks. (and I have tried lots of different types) TBS sand for the win. Hard core fan here. It's worth the investment.
Do you think it would still be able to house a pistol shrimp yasha goby pair or is it too coarse

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you’ve already decided, but another option is Aquabiomics.

They test their sand for fish and coral parasites. They only sell small containers though. They don’t intend it to be the primary substrate, just a seed for the tank.

I used TBS sand for my recent build. I love it. They also say there’s no risk of fish parasites but I’m not sure how they verify that.
they used aquabiomics to test there facility.
but yes that is another option. they do seem to be out most of the time tho. never seem to see it in stock.

I am leaning towards either 15# of LS or the box of 9# LS & 3#of LR.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you use only TBS sand or mix it in.
I was thinking about 100% TBS sand. but i tend to enjoy the medium grain and whiter sand of the special grade sand.

I know BRS used TBS sand in a few of there 52 weeks of reefing season 2 tanks. they are getting good results with it.

mind posting a pic of your tank. going full TBS sand is tempting.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about 100% TBS sand. but i tend to enjoy the medium grain and whiter sand of the special grade sand.

I know BRS used TBS sand in a few of there 52 weeks of reefing season 2 tanks. they are getting good results with it.

BRS for some strange reason dosed "every" tank they did in that 52 Week with Dr Tims. They did not "need" to dose a tank using live rock.

Why not get the sand you want, place it in a Brute and order some live rock and let it stew until you're ready. Then just use a large mesh filter to remove any of the larger pests? Or you could possibly get the live sand and keep it in a mesh bag and steep it in there like a tea bag? Brewing Supply stores sell these large mesh bags.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do we even mean with terms like biodiversity and biome? If you pluck live sand and rock straight out of the ocean, it's going to be full of pests, algae spores, and tons of different bacteria strains (good and bad).

If I was setting up a 10+ year display, I would bite the bullet and suffer through the first year of algae and dinos and whatever that comes with dry rock and selective seeding.

But for a typical hobbyist tank where we want fast results and are chucking in animals left and right, sure let's play the live land lottery.

for me its not about fast. it more about creating a sustainable tank a piece of living art in my home.

I do see your point and thanks for adding to the discussion all point of view are welcome. but it has been shown time and time again that adding ocean LR/LS can and does help with the over all health of the tank.
after all we are trying to create that is the ocean in a box in out home.

but yes you are correct its not with out risk and or work to lower the risk hens this thread, for me and other to weight out the prons and cons and come to the "right" choose for each reefer.

I disagree that adding live rock has been "shown" to improve a tank. Especially since time could be the factor that improves a tank and waiting after adding live rock could result in the same ending as waiting and not adding live rock.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did go for 100% TBS Live Sand. It's gorgeous. I've been neglectful in taking pictures but I'll try to remember afterwork.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do we even mean with terms like biodiversity and biome? If you pluck live sand and rock straight out of the ocean, it's going to be full of pests, algae spores, and tons of different bacteria strains (good and bad).

If I was setting up a 10+ year display, I would bite the bullet and suffer through the first year of algae and dinos and whatever that comes with dry rock and selective seeding.

But for a typical hobbyist tank where we want fast results and are chucking in animals left and right, sure let's play the live land lottery.
Oh screw that man, not me. LOL

I would rather have the tank running properly and balanced than dealing with all the wave after wave of crap from fake rock. This whole place is littered with cyano, dinos, and all kinds of other problems from fake rock.
It's like hating pain, but shoving barbed wire up your winky anyway.

Meanmrmustard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sand order is coming Monday. Will go in the tank Tuesday morning. Once it settles I'll post pics.
I’m jealous! Is your tank fully up and running? What’s in the display tank rock or just water. I’m just about done plumbing my tank then I would like to place an order.

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m jealous! Is your tank fully up and running? What’s in the display tank rock or just water. I’m just about done plumbing my tank then I would like to place an order.
Yeah my tank has been going a few years. I just wanted a different look this year.

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a few months ago. Got tired of the 'boring' sand lol

Attachments

• 20231220_182440.jpg
    20231220_182440.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 34

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CMMorgan I would also love to see how the sand looks in your tank. Do you have any sand sifting gobies that sift the sand or wrasses that sleep in the sand?
No gobies at the moment but there is an invert burrowing under the rock in the first photo. My flame hawk does sleep on the sand. I have observed that the finer stuff makes its way to the bottom. I stir it up every week when I do my water changes. There are a few nassarius snails in the sand bed, too.
PXL_20240222_012252209.MP.jpg PXL_20240222_012157179.MP.jpg PXL_20240222_012229132.jpg

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww do you know when the next batch of orders will be
They are taking back orders now and will apparently start to be filled in April. I am likely going to wait until next month to order---I hope I don't regret it if for some reason the back order line gets super long.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back