Replace Special Grade Sand with TBS Sand

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, I have a 90 gallon system that’s been aquascaped with dry rock and has been running for 3 months now. I’m wondering if replacing the Special Grade caribsea sand with TBS Ocean sand is a good idea. I want to get the benefits of bio diversity and bacterias from the ocean.

If it’s not recommended, will buying 5 or 8 pounds of premium live rock benefit my tank or is it too little?

IMG_4342.jpeg

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After three months, your sand bed is now populated with bacteria. It may be possible to broaden the biodiversity of your tanks bacterial biome with live rock or bioactive media form other hobbyists or retailers. This also comes with pest risks. I recently saw a video on tank biodiversity - it may have been a BRS or MACNA presentation. I will look for it.

Don't replace your sand, instead ask friends for a piece of live media like marine pure block or rubble. Inspect for pests and add to the tank.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, one reef sand is as good as another.

I do think some more flow will benefit the tank, another powerhead on the opposite side, pointed at the water surface to oxiginate the water will do wonders. The tank looks gorgeous, but a little stagnant

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add to what you have. Take a look at the TBS Treasure Chests, for example the Pico package. I am purchasing this to help seed my dry rock which is currently cycling in a covered bin.

OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, one reef sand is as good as another.

I do think some more flow will benefit the tank, another powerhead on the opposite side, pointed at the water surface to oxiginate the water will do wonders. The tank looks gorgeous, but a little stagnant
Im 100% planning on buying 2 wavemakers on both sides of the tank when I start putting corals maybe 1-2 months from now

OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add to what you have. Take a look at the TBS Treasure Chests, for example the Pico package. I am purchasing this to help seed my dry rock which is currently cycling in a covered bin.
Do you know how big per pound their live rock is? I might purchase the pico package plus 5 pounds of premium live rock

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only seed with it, the tbs

No total replacement needed

Good to add it before getting heavily stocked, it's likely to cloud when added. I'd add via plastic bag of sand opened at bottom submersion, set out into the tank on top of the existing sand

Eventually it'll clear up

OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only seed with it, the tbs

No total replacement needed

Good to add it before getting heavily stocked, it's likely to cloud when added. I'd add via plastic bag of sand opened at bottom submersion, set out into the tank on top of the existing sand

Eventually it'll clear up
Will 3 lbs tbs sand be enough to seed my tank?

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how big per pound their live rock is? I might purchase the pico package plus 5 pounds of premium live rock
I do not know size per pound, I will be ordering this week.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less than that would seed it for sure, the clouding may or may not be prominent to deal with when adding after the tank is running, not sure what to predict for duration of clouding after adding three pounds unrinsed sand

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I don't think it will speed anything up at this point. Your already rolling and it would take a lot to jump start your cycle further. That being said, you would be adding some additional types to your system which would be good in the long run. 3lbs of TBS rock and 3lbs of active sand would help give you a small boost. You have a really nice aquascape so I wouldn't place too much to unbalance everything.

Also, I only see one light head. Are you getting a second one or is it off-center on purpose? How much and what spectrum are you running during the day?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back