Naturally increase nitrates

miggs76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 17 gallon nano with one 4 inch clownfish. With rock I would estimate only about 10 gallons of water. I have a tunze Comline 9001 skimmer (fantastic little skimmer). My nitrates are undetectable and my phosphates are .11 I'm looking to increase nitrates so they will be detectable for some of the coral in the tank. Would taking out the skimmer be advisable? I do weekly 3-4 gallon water changes.

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 17 gallon nano with one 4 inch clownfish. With rock I would estimate only about 10 gallons of water. I have a tunze Comline 9001 skimmer (fantastic little skimmer). My nitrates are undetectable and my phosphates are .11 I'm looking to increase nitrates so they will be detectable for some of the coral in the tank. Would taking out the skimmer be advisable? I do weekly 3-4 gallon water changes.
Maybe take your water changes down to about 10 percent weeklyyour changing about 20 percent at the moment

OP
OP
miggs76

miggs76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I could go the amino route. Are there any that you recommend? I’ve tried Acro power in other tanks.

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose nitrate or amino acids.

I personally would keep skimming to provide aeration.
Just out of interest would it not be better to naturally just not take the nitrates out rather than start adding stuff out of a bottle this isn’t a conflict more learning on my part

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an in-sump skimmer you can just remove the cup and not remove anything from the water but still get the aeration.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of interest would it not be better to naturally just not take the nitrates out rather than start adding stuff out of a bottle this isn’t a conflict more learning on my part

What method are you using that is just taking nitrate out?

I'm not really a believer that any of the methods we use are "unnatural". We just amplify natural processes that already happen in the ocean.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about adding a second fish? It would increase the bio-load.

You can usually feed more whether you have more fish or not, but I presumed the goal was not to also raise phosphate, which normal fish food will do.

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not really a believer that any of the methods we use are "unnatural". We just amplify natural processes that already happen in the ocean.
Just saying that maybe

The op wanted more nitrates so I thought the simplest way without adding stuff from a bottle would be change less water he currently does 20 percent roughly weekly so going down to 10npecent maybe give him the levels he wants at no expense

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concept of an aquarium is basically an unnatural containment of sea life. It is a zoo. The job of the aquarist is preventing this system from becoming an execution chamber.

I went overboard to make a point. There is nothing natural about keeping an aquarium. Various methods for achieving a desired effect are selected on effectiveness, risk to the creatures, amount of effirt involved, and cost. Stuff from a bottle can be snake oil or an effective method. It is strictly a case by case evaluation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying that maybe

The op wanted more nitrates so I thought the simplest way without adding stuff from a bottle would be change less water he currently does 20 percent roughly weekly so going down to 10npecent maybe give him the levels he wants at no expense

The reason I asked is because there aren't many ways to increase just nitrate, aside from dosing it. Stopping organic carbon dosing is one way to msotly do that, but if he is not doing it, its not an option.

Back