Nearly killed my fish and I don't know why...help me work it out, please?

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just posting in the TTM thread about how well I have been doing with the TTM. That will teach me to shut my mouth!

About 11pm last night (Australian time). I did a tank transfer (#2 transfer) of a flame angel, japonicus tang and bi-colour blennie. At 5am I heard a splash and found the flame angel circling at the surface of the water (but upright) and the tang upside down and doing circles unable to right itself. I checked the water as I did the night before and the temp and salinity were exactly as I had matched them to the previous tank.

Luckily I hadn't drained or switched off any of the equipment on the previous tank and transferred the fish straight back. Within an hour both fish were swimming normally if a bit sheepishly.

Both fish were eating, in fact the tang had just started eating with gusto the day before. There are no visible symptoms of illness that I can see other than some ich on the flame angel. The only thing I can think that may have caused the problem was that I was returning the fish to the tank that I had previously broken a glass heater in when they were in it last time. The thing is that I bumped the heater on the edge of the tank, it broke, I threw it away immediately and removed any glass in the tank. The fish were fine for another couple of days in there and I transferred them, dried and cleaned the tank with some vinegar ready for the fish to go back in on the next transfer. I don't think that was the cause but I don't know for sure.

By way of background, I am using an air driven sponge filter to aerate the water, this seems to work pretty well without any meds. Salinity is at 1.026 and temp is between 25-26c at all times. I'm using a seachem ammonia badge which was not showing any ammonia.

Can anyone take a stab at what the problem might have been?

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realised, it got VERY cold here last night. 5am would be the coldest point of the night. Is it possible that this could have been temperature shock because my heater wasn't up to the task?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish recovered after going back into the heated tank I would say this is a possibility. I’m guessing there was not a working heater in the tank when this happened? Do you have a thermometer in each tank to monitor temp?

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! It did have a working 100 watt heater (40 litre tank) but it's a cheapy and it got down to -2 last night. It's a possibility I guess.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back