Need a cooling fan housing/mount.

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Reefer 170 (43g) mixed reef.

I have been using a computer cooling fan for a few months now and it works great. Apex turns it on when it gets to 79.5 and then cools pretty quickly down to 77.5. Looking for ideas on how to mount the fan so it's out of the way and blows across the top of the tank.

Right now I have it sitting on the screen top aimed directly down at the water surface which seems effective but has to be moved when I need to remove the tank screen which is a pain. Wondering if anyone has constructed a case/frame to mount the fan in and a way to mount it on a gooseneck for example. Love to see some photos.
IMG_4017.jpg

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do make cheap fans with mounts on them.If you’re planning to use this long-term effects want to look at ones that I made for salt water As the bearings inside cheap fans and computer fans will lock up due to salt water getting into the bearings.

ISTA Aquarium Energy Saving Arrayed Cooling Fan ColdWind for 30~45cm fish tank

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen a saltwater fan, but their are fans designed for humid applications. From what I have seen fans sold for aquarium use are nothing more than computer fans with mounting brackets. In my experience they do not hold up very well. The computer fans are cheap enough you can replace them every couple years.
I would just screw it to your covers frame.

OP
OP
jhatfield

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Those are good options. I may have to dremel out notches in the screen frame to fit the fan clamps on the glass. Should be easy enough.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back