Need a CUC

tucbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished cycling my mp25 and ready to add a clean up crew to tank..I will be going to lfs to pick them up instead of ordering..my question: Do I have to do anything to them before I put them into the tank (quarantine or dip)? Will wait a week or so after and add my first fish..also, what do I need to feed cuc?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished cycling my mp25 and ready to add a clean up crew to tank..I will be going to lfs to pick them up instead of ordering..my question: Do I have to do anything to them before I put them into the tank (quarantine or dip)? Will wait a week or so after and add my first fish..also, what do I need to feed cuc?

If you've just finished cycling it's too early to add a cuc. What are they going to eat?
Once you do get them, you can check each one closely for pests and maybe brush off some algae on their shells if they have them.
No dip! Dip is for corals! Just drip acclimate for at least an hour.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elora's right to early for most cleanup. When you do need them though its best to inspect them well. I personally have had some problems come in on the backs of snails. Also Let them sit in a container for a while until they expel all the stuff they were eating in prior home.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not dip. QT isn't a bad practice to start early.
You just cycled - get your fish - build up your biological diversity slowly. Once you start getting uglies and nuisance algae, there will be something to feed them. The stupidest thing my LFS told me when I started was to add inverts, snails, a nem and an urchin BEFORE he sold me a single fish. Thankfully I had some reefer friends that offered to smack me with my wallet before I listened to him.
Patience is key ... build everything a little at a time and you will succeed. Don't overwhelm yourself or your tank with too much of anything all at once.

OP
OP
T

tucbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've just finished cycling it's too early to add a cuc. What are they going to eat?
Once you do get them, you can check each one closely for pests and maybe brush off some algae on their shells if they have them.
No dip! Dip is for corals! Just drip acclimate for at least an hour.
I'll be adding a fish on Wed..lfs guy said to feed tank with some pellets in mean time..I'll add them along with the fish then.

OP
OP
T

tucbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not dip. QT isn't a bad practice to start early.
You just cycled - get your fish - build up your biological diversity slowly. Once you start getting uglies and nuisance algae, there will be something to feed them. The stupidest thing my LFS told me when I started was to add inverts, snails, a nem and an urchin BEFORE he sold me a single fish. Thankfully I had some reefer friends that offered to smack me with my wallet before I listened to him.
Patience is key ... build everything a little at a time and you will succeed. Don't overwhelm yourself or your tank with too much of anything all at once
OK..thanks for your kind words of encouragement..I'll wait to add the cuc after fish is introduced.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back