Need a dither fish

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know anthias are typically considered dither fish, however, I am looking for some options that may help my red saddled anthias trio be a bit more bold. They eat pretty aggressively, but I think having another fish in the tank would help them feel a little more secure. They are in a 60 gallon cube and a total system volume of close to 200 gallons with one neon goby. Lots of pods, and a screen lid. Any ideas?

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that a Dwarf Centropoge Angel or for a relatively short term (1-2 years) a small/juvenile Yellow or Kole Tang. Possibly a Leopard Wrasse if you have proper sand substrate ???

Cheers, Todd

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok...gonna show my ignorance...what is a dither fish?

OP
OP
pgravis

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it (which could be way off base) is an active bold fish in the water column. It dithers around letting shy fish know no predators are about. Someone please correct me if I am using this wrong!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I understand it (which could be way off base) is an active bold fish in the water column. It dithers around letting shy fish know no predators are about. Someone please correct me if I am using this wrong!

Cool! Thanks for clearing that up. I think my yellow candy hogfish does that in my tank. Not sure that's what they do naturally but that seems to be his purpose in mine. He's everywhere.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf angels would be a good starting point :)
If your prepared to move one on when he grows, smaller tangs or foxfaces would be great choices too.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had not heard that term either md. Thanks for the information - I am always amazed how I continue to learn in this hobby :)

OP
OP
pgravis

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would trust an angel, but they are great looking fish. The tang could be an interesting addition. I like the smaller fish like the cardinals. Keep the suggestions coming!

Bernie21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas Blenny... theyre always looking for food, and hide when they feel threatened, so they let everyone know its safe or not. Plus w their bright yellow they look great swimming w anthias and fairy/flasher wrasses!

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything in the dartfish category on liveaquaria are neat just make sure you have a tight fitting lid as they like to jump sometimes.

OP
OP
pgravis

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything in the dartfish category on liveaquaria are neat just make sure you have a tight fitting lid as they like to jump sometimes.

I do like fire fish. I have had a purple in the past and it was the shyest fish I have owned. Great looking though, it would be hard to decide between purple and the helfrichi.

OP
OP
pgravis

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas Blenny... theyre always looking for food, and hide when they feel threatened, so they let everyone know its safe or not. Plus w their bright yellow they look great swimming w anthias and fairy/flasher wrasses!

Are they coral nippers? I thought I have read that somewhere, but I could be wrong

Bernie21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they coral nippers? I thought I have read that somewhere, but I could be wrong

I've had many through out different tanks... I've never had any issues w any Coral picking or compatibility w other fish. just a great active colorful and happy fish.

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a big FW term. Many fish are intelligent enough to look at the body language of other, presumably dumber fish to determine if it is safe. If there are no fish out and about, they are super skittish. A dither fish basically acts as a signal to the skittish fish - "Hey, if that idiot is out and not being eaten, I think we can manage to go out there and not be eaten too."

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back