need a good hair algae eater?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got some hair algae, not like a carpet of hair but individual long hairs popping up everywhere. Probably a few factors causing it, I have upped feeding and was using the "wrong" spectrum of light. I changed the light and have been trimming the algae but CUC still wont touch the stuff (hermits, astrea snails). Tank is small (15 gallons with 2 clowns and a pep shrimp), but does not need to be a permanent inhabitant, can take back to pet store after algae is gone. . . anything like to eat this stuff?

Molly? Lawnmower Blenny? crab?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got some hair algae, not like a carpet of hair but individual long hairs popping up everywhere. Probably a few factors causing it, I have upped feeding and was using the "wrong" spectrum of light. I changed the light and have been trimming the algae but CUC still wont touch the stuff (hermits, astrea snails). Tank is small (15 gallons with 2 clowns and a pep shrimp), but does not need to be a permanent inhabitant, can take back to pet store after algae is gone. . . anything like to eat this stuff?

Tail spot blenny

Cerith and turbo snails

Fighting conch

10-12 Carribean blue leg hermits (these are tiny)

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 15g cube also and have been looking into this same topic...I've settled on a biota court jester goby
I had a hectors (similar) and from my research they will eat the algae, but due to their size they will likely not make a substantial impact. Maybe at maintain a clean tank. . . but not sure one could take on my problem. . . but if I am wrong I would love to here your experience/feedback, cause they are very cool/pretty fish!

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tail spot blenny

Cerith and turbo snails

Fighting conch

10-12 Carribean blue leg hermits (these are tiny)
I have a tail spot blenny on the way so we will see
Tail spot would be cool, will they eat my polyps though. . . had a bicolor that had a taste for coral?

I worry about the ceriths and conch as my tank is BB, do they "need" sand?

I have thrown about 6 blue leg hermits at the problem, but not seeing much in way of results. . . can always add more!

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13.5g tank, with a bit of manual removal initially to get ahead of it, I found that a tuxedo urchin and some astrea snails have completely kept my hair algae in check for the last several months.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 13.5g tank, with a bit of manual removal initially to get ahead of it, I found that a tuxedo urchin and some astrea snails have completely kept my hair algae in check for the last several months.
urchin may be an option as well. . . though I don't want one to eat my coraline.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
urchin may be an option as well. . . though I don't want one to eat my coraline.

My tuxedo does eat my coralline. Personally I'm looking to grow corals over the rock anyway, so it doesn't bother me a ton. I keep it out of my tank with macroalgae though.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tail spot would be cool, will they eat my polyps though. . . had a bicolor that had a taste for coral?

I worry about the ceriths and conch as my tank is BB, do they "need" sand?

I have thrown about 6 blue leg hermits at the problem, but not seeing much in way of results. . . can always add more!
Tail spot bother nothing/ No sand

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pencil urchin will leave coralline alone.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sea hare!!! I had a huge outbreak a while back. My tank looks so good now with him in it.

Attachments

• B97ED7B2-D310-4E99-9EE1-91DC9FDC3B7E.jpeg
    B97ED7B2-D310-4E99-9EE1-91DC9FDC3B7E.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 49

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back