Need a microscope

  • Thread starter Thread starter Manose
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
2,165
Reaction score
4,452
Location
Johnson City, Tn
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need a microscope to view various algae amongst other things, something that is inexpensive and will view things like dinos and various critters that we encounter in the reef.
Being able to hook it up to my laptop or phone would be a huge plus
 
Hey @Manose ! I hope that you are doing well!!!

It (at least partially) depends on what you mean by inexpensive. There are a number of truly inexpensive digital microscopes on Amazon (or comparable) and I have had mixed results (most poor). I finally when with a student model of an Amscope that has a USB camera that I use with a laptop and this works for me. I'm sure others will jump in soon with other viable options.
 
Hey @Manose ! I hope that you are doing well!!!

It (at least partially) depends on what you mean by inexpensive. There are a number of truly inexpensive digital microscopes on Amazon (or comparable) and I have had mixed results (most poor). I finally when with a student model of an Amscope that has a USB camera that I use with a laptop and this works for me. I'm sure others will jump in soon with other viable options.
What model did you get? I am happy to pay a couple hundred to get something decent.
 
I bought it about 4 years ago so there may be a better model, but here is the link:

Amscope m150c-e5

Search the reviews, but I think that you will find that Amscope is a solid microscope brand for entry level "real" microscopes.
 
A scope is on my shopping list, just not at the top currently lol!

That AmScope gets a lot of love here at R2R.

I've been looking at Swift brand on Amazon, they seem like they might be a good value for an aquarist:

https://www.amazon.com/stores/SWIFT...ef_=ast_bln&store_ref=bl_ast_dp_brandLogo_sto
And if you want to observe macro algae and critters in your tank, don't go overboard with the magnification. Consider a Stereo microscope with something like a 4-40X magnification would be excellent for ID'ing critters. Greater magnifications are for viewing truly microscopic organisms, like single cell algae, fungi, bacteria, etc.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new