need a new ATO, just not excited about anything...

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the long and short of it is my old auto aqua smart ATO sensor is kicking the bucket. loosing trust in it day by day.

SOOO I need a new ATO but I am not at all excited about anything.
it will go on a RS reefer 300XL

was excited about the new Tunze but seems like they down graded from what I read.
I do have a hydros but I am thinking of having it off the controller as I am having wifi connectivity issues.

in a perfect world it could suck up water from the basement fish room but I know that is a long shot.
the last 2 models of avast did that, with the oldest being the best. but there "new model" cant.

anyway suggest me an ATO what's everyone using??

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wifi connection issues wont stop the hydros from working correctly. Just set a max run time and it will stop the pump until you manually reset it

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the best ATO ever made? https://spectrapure.com/products/spectrapure-g7-litermeter-stand-alone-basic-auto-top-off-lm-apm-g7

Expensive but bulletproof. The ONLY issue is the suction cup holding the pressure sensor. At one point they had a magnet mount. Not sure why they switched back.
wow somehow I forgot about these guys.
yeah for that price point they should have a magnet holder. i'll look around there site and see if I can just get the pump and use the avast pressure sensor. prob. be a $500 ATO if I did it that way tho...

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd diy the Hydros... It's a reliable as you program it. Both tanks I run via the apex as a controller.
dont even have to DIY they have all the parts would be pretty simple. cheapest option to.
I'm using the tunze one. Works fine for me.
how long have you had it? any slime build up on the sensor? reading some reviews that seems to be an issue.

Wifi connection issues wont stop the hydros from working correctly. Just set a max run time and it will stop the pump until you manually reset it
but what if I am out of town? IDK even tho I have had the hydros for over 6 months I have not done much with it. not sure I fully trust it. or I guess i should say my internet.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont even have to DIY they have all the parts would be pretty simple. cheapest option to.

how long have you had it? any slime build up on the sensor? reading some reviews that seems to be an issue.
A little over a year. It's also been in both of my tanks, aio and now sump.

I think the slime issue is probobly if you have light getting to it.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the long and short of it is my old auto aqua smart ATO sensor is kicking the bucket. loosing trust in it day by day.

SOOO I need a new ATO but I am not at all excited about anything.
it will go on a RS reefer 300XL

was excited about the new Tunze but seems like they down graded from what I read.
I do have a hydros but I am thinking of having it off the controller as I am having wifi connectivity issues.

in a perfect world it could suck up water from the basement fish room but I know that is a long shot.
the last 2 models of avast did that, with the oldest being the best. but there "new model" cant.

anyway suggest me an ATO what's everyone using??
I use the newest Avast Parrot ATO with Apex control. You can use whatever pump you need to get you up from the basement this way. The Avast is just a switch, and in my opinion the most reliable one. Here is what I have going with mine for top off of my sump and a mixing station. The avast is only used with the sump though.

IMG_3927.jpeg

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
wow somehow I forgot about these guys.
yeah for that price point they should have a magnet holder. i'll look around there site and see if I can just get the pump and use the avast pressure sensor. prob. be a $500 ATO if I did it that way tho...

You can get a BRS doser and use the Avast Pressure sensor and make that your ATO. That is what I do on a tank. Got a doser here for $20 and the pressure sensor and magnet mount from Avast for $120 shipped I believe.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

but what if I am out of town? IDK even tho I have had the hydros for over 6 months I have not done much with it. not sure I fully trust it. or I guess i should say my internet.
You can reset it remotely whenever it re-connects and then it will fill again as needed until the max time permitted or when it hits the level sensor (whichever comes first and as long as its not ON-OVERRIDE)

For what it's worth, I utilize both an apex and hydros on separate systems and feel no worries about the hydros reliability.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
not a bad idea...

If you can wait I’d sell you my exact setup. But it is the version for an apex. Not sure if you have one or not. I’m working on swapping to Hydros.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the newest Avast Parrot ATO with Apex control. You can use whatever pump you need to get you up from the basement this way. The Avast is just a switch, and in my opinion the most reliable one. Here is what I have going with mine for top off of my sump and a mixing station. The avast is only used with the sump though.

IMG_3927.jpeg
I have the avast for the larger tank. the pump is quite load but it pulls water up from the basement no problem. but they stopped making that one.
so I would need some high volume doser pump? got nay ideas?

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have the avast for the larger tank. the pump is quite load but it pulls water up from the basement no problem. but they stopped making that one.
so I would need some high volume doser pump? got nay ideas?

This is the same volume avasts peristaltic pump had. I believe. It’s a great pump. It’s what I use.

If you use a hydros why not the hydros doser? https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/h...JcPGxw0hj2LE-YmoaBaHOe6-Mg70SatEaAs9QEALw_wcB

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.3%
Back