Need a new heater

Reedc200177

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 28, 2022
Messages
53
Reaction score
35
Location
South Carolina
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cobalt neotherm 75w currently heating my 13.5 gallon tank. When I set the temperature to 78 it keeps it at 76. When I set it at 80, it keeps it at 79.5. I would rather keep the temp at 78, but apparently this heater won't let me hit that range, it's either too hot or cold.

I've tried recalibration as best as I can tell and it still does this.

Every time I look for the best heater option the cobalts are topping the list and obviously it's not working for me. What's the best heater I could replace it with for this tank size?

Thanks!
 
Many heaters are hard to adjust exactly to the temperature we want. The best is to buy an Inkbird temperature controller. It will keep your temperature how you like it and work the heaters. Just set your heater a little above the temp on your Inkbird.

You can also use 2 heaters with it, for redundancy in case one fails.

Make sure you buy the one for saltwater. They have it on Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B07W1NPRBC
 
Thanks for replies, but I have one of these and it didn't work either. It would "lose" a degree per day, I only caught it after temp in tank fell to 74 degrees, but inkbird claimed it was 77.5. Couldn't ever get it fixed, so just gave up on it as unreliable
 
I would consider decreasing the wattage. 75w seems pretty overpowered for your volume. I would think 25w would better fit your tank.

iMO trying to dial in temp stability with a 75w heating element on 10g of water could easily explain swinging too high or low. I'd prob use a 25w.

Out of curiosity, what kind of thermometer are you using?
 
I have a cobalt neotherm 75w currently heating my 13.5 gallon tank. When I set the temperature to 78 it keeps it at 76. When I set it at 80, it keeps it at 79.5. I would rather keep the temp at 78, but apparently this heater won't let me hit that range, it's either too hot or cold.

I've tried recalibration as best as I can tell and it still does this.

Every time I look for the best heater option the cobalts are topping the list and obviously it's not working for me. What's the best heater I could replace it with for this tank size?

Thanks!
2 degrees either way doesn't matter. You have the best heater on the market IMO, and I've used them all. I run cobalts in all my systems and have Titanium BRS *which I hate for backups. They get too hot and get a ton of mineral buildup, not to mention all on or all off. NeoTherms actually operate on a partial on basis and don't always draw max wattage. Stick with what you have and put a controler on it for safety.
 
I typically take measurements with a digital and "analog" thermometer and have a digital therm with probe in tank, all stay between 78.6 and 79 when the neo therm is set to 80. I'm having issues with stn and triton reccomended dropping temp but can't hit 77 which is what I'd like 76 just seems too cold.

I guess I could try dropping to a smaller size, or if there's a controller other than inkbird that's recommended?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new