Need a small water mixing/storage station

This is my setup. Not quite what you are looking to build but maybe it will provide some inspiration. I live in an apartment and so I wheel this cart over to the bathroom when I need to make water. The container is my saltwater mixing container and for top off water I just run the long RO/DI output over to my top off container to fill it. This eliminates the need to carry top off water or saltwater around. The cart also provides a convenient place to keep all the other things I need for water changes. After I'm done it just gets wheeled out of sight.
e047716650cff486aab22b8af5daf83e.jpg
d032a5d3a16740ed3742a45711238eaa.jpg
4dcbbeca3ade67c17f731ba9aecf6d3c.jpg
What are you using in here to mix the salt?
 
This is probably the only thing that sucks the joy out of the hobby because of the time and mess. I usually start during the day and finish up at night just waiting for water.

I had exactly the same issue 😆

Part of my solution is a tight fitting lid and aerating with an air stone/venturi - that means I do not need an ATO, salinity goes up from 1.025 to 1.026 in a week or two due to evap. An extra benefit is that it's very easy to pull an airline to the outside, so no low ph happens due to indoor CO2.

The first thing I did with the current restart is that I threw my rodi unit into the bin. It was a massive relief. No, I am not gonna wait for water ever again, thats just not a viable route. Wife not gonna laugh at me anymore when I stay up till 2am to tinker with my rodi lines and waiting as water is "almost done" 😤

What I do now is that when I need water, I drive with the 5g jerry can to the closest spotless water station, fill it up in 10 seconds, at home I add a BIG heater, a small pump through the mouth of the can, the exact amount of salt and water is done very fast. I add a bit of a prime to be on the safe side, and that's it.

I am in the uk, there are like 3 stations within 10 minutes drive, I am not sure where are you located and whether you have similar things in your country, but if you only need 5g like me, this is the best solution.

And now instead of my wife laughing at me, she now cant figure out where the hell I am getting my 5g water in minutes - I will never tell her my secret hahahaha
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new