Need acrylic lids made quickly.. Recommendations?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, we're getting real close to finished with our 450g office build.
One of the final things on the list (which should have been initiated weeks ago) is ordering acrylic lids for the tank.
I am absolutely blown away by the look of the artfully acrylic lids, but there are so many threads of people saying they don't communicate well and delivery takes months.
I was wondering if there was a vendor someone could recommend that will do a good job and have a quick turnaround time.

Thanks in advance!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're likely going to need to find someone with a big enough laser cutter than can handle making the larger panels a 450 gallon would need. Honestly though it may be cheaper to get the material yourself and shape and cut it to the dimensions you need and then add things like screens or feeding holes. It gives you a lot of flexibility in the manufacturing process too in case you figure out that you need holes or something in a certain place after the fact. Acrylic is fairly manageable and you can use basic saws and drill bits to cut it into the shapes you want.

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one he made me arrives Thursday. Great communication. I emailed for a quote 9/24 (a Sunday). Heard back almost immediately. I Paid him that day. So a little over three weeks total time
Ordered mine from him on 9/17, supposed to arrive on 10/20, so a little over a month. Still faster (and much better communication) than artfully acrylic, although I'm not sure what size either can handle.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quote 3-4 weeks, but I've had a few take just over four weeks if I run out of netting. On the flipside, if someone orders at the right time I can produce a two week turnaround. :)

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a very simple DIY project really. I would advise against acrylic and use polycarbonate instead. acrylic really likes to bend out of shape when placed between lights and water.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a very simple DIY project really. I would advise against acrylic and use polycarbonate instead. acrylic really likes to bend out of shape when placed between lights and water.

Fully agree. All my acrylic lids end up looking like boomarangs; PC ones stay nice and flat.

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a type of polycarbonate better than another for aquarium use? Is the stuff at HD/Lowe's good enough?

Ftrain576

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey cromag08 what a coincidence. After placing my order with you I come here to check out this thread. Was just about to recommend you guys and post your info. Thanks for your timely response. (Rtay96).
SCA 66.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back