Need advice ASAP

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, I wouldn't know if a parasite would trigger them to act that way either, I do know snails can get infected.

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the conch shell would be a small upgrade but in a hermits eyes an upgrade is always what they want.
Can't believe a snail is keeping me awake. He's not moved much but he's OK his eyes are moving around.
How big is this guy? A home is a home and yes they will.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That crab, yep, he could be nasty. He looks big and not the ones I would keep. Granted I only keep one kind, scarlets. The rest I hate too much because they kill my snails (which I like better). :)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternative theory.
It was a full moon and he was horny......
Well maybe must be double full moon night after night as op in southwest england and im in northwest england and now nearly 24 hours later i had exact same happen ( video coming shortly,ignore part about me saying i hope crab dies lol)
I seen out corner of my eye my copperband darting around tank and heard little noise and see my largest hermit wrestling with my smallest conch so quickly grab coral feeder and use it to push hermit away then videod the conch jumping away lol.
Hermit full of snail gunk but trying to chase it but used coral feeder to stop it then sat on coral feeder and yup snapped it pffft
Conch jumped about 8 times to safety till hit corner glass and now half buried in sand,i sometimes see smallest conch hiding under sand for day or 2 at a time so maybe happens often idk
I doubt hermit was hungry as plenty algae in tank and at least 3 times a week i target feed little piece of clam to every hermit i can see and i throw the old shells in so any clam/ oyster/ scallops i feed fish that they dont get it gets trapped inbetween shells and hermits finish it off,was only telling mibu like 4 days ago this hermit the biggest and hairest but the most peaceful but nope he just a hermit lol

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These hermits are jurks!
Yeah can see me having sump full of hermits soon and they killing each other just for fun down there ha ha
Wasnt bothered at first but then as sat on coral feeder i was like die hermit,hope you cant eat no more die die die ha ha but just natural for them so its ok i guess.
Will just keep eye on conch and hope it doesnt die and foul the water but guess if it does die i will know as be covered in hermits and nassarious snails anyhow ^_^ but yeah jerks and this hermit in question is quite a big boy indeed lol

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine the hermit is the cause of that behavior. That leaping ability is usually on display when the conch is disturbed by something. The repeated jumping with nothing near it is concerning. Even more concerning is that it almost looked as if it were coming out of it's shell towards the end of the video. I'd definitely keep him in the fuge for a while and watch him. I don't know anything you can do for him other than protect him.

@saltyhog 22 hours on and same for me.
Heard noise and cbb darting around tank and big hermit wrestling conch and didnt catch first 3- 4 jumps but started filming as conch good 12 inch away jumping and still jumping till nearly in corner 30 inch away then after stopped filming jumped few more times till hit corner glass then went half under sand.and if look my video above can see hermit full of snail gunk ha ha

20210922_234714.jpg 20210922_234656.jpg 20210922_234644.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@saltyhog 22 hours on and same for me.
Heard noise and cbb darting around tank and big hermit wrestling conch and didnt catch first 3- 4 jumps but started filming as conch good 12 inch away jumping and still jumping till nearly in corner 30 inch away then after stopped filming jumped few more times till hit corner glass then went half under sand.
That hermit, was like "get back here! I'm not done with you."

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn buggers. I got a bumch to help before I got my snails and such and then banished them all to the sump. Not sure there are any left after a year. The sump has plenty of food. Full live rock area and algae scrubber, but they just kill each other. These were the blues and green legs.

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hermit went to a lfs today.

I hate going to the lfs I ended up buying another tank.. only went to drop it off.

I couldn't find the 2nd conch so ended up stripping the system only to find it absolutely fine.. been a long day

That's crazy how 2 of us had same issue with 24 hrs freeky moon maybe.

Both my conchs are in my fuge giving that a clean and give them some chill out time from everything else in the display.

Now at least once the new tank is cycled I will have a place to put stuff if it ever happens again. Just bought a little 10g nano mostly to get my frag racks out of my main tank.

Appreciate all the help.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cone snails don't catch fish by jumping wildly around on the sand. That would scare the fish away. You can see in the video, they catch prey by sneaking up on it.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it was trying to catch fish to eat. Are you sure it's a fighting conch

Very interesting video but im certain as can be my conch just a tiger conch or could call it a strawberry lipped or something similar and never seen that thing it sticks out to inject venom into the fish.
Mine was wrestling with the hermit 100% and hermit was the aggressor trying to get conch after split them up while conch jumping away and it seems op conch doing same,just op only seen conch jumping to safety but again thats very interesting video,thanks for sharing,nature absoloutely amazing ( scary but amazing ha ha )

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hermit went to a lfs today.

I hate going to the lfs I ended up buying another tank.. only went to drop it off.

I couldn't find the 2nd conch so ended up stripping the system only to find it absolutely fine.. been a long day

That's crazy how 2 of us had same issue with 24 hrs freeky moon maybe.

Both my conchs are in my fuge giving that a clean and give them some chill out time from everything else in the display.

Now at least once the new tank is cycled I will have a place to put stuff if it ever happens again. Just bought a little 10g nano mostly to get my frag racks out of my main tank.

Appreciate all the help.
Ha ha went to lfs to give hermit away and buy a tank,thats funny ^_^
But yeah having an extra system to use for whatever is useful,never know what may need it for.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting video but im certain as can be my conch just a tiger conch or could call it a strawberry lipped or something similar and never seen that thing it sticks out to inject venom into the fish.
Mine was wrestling with the hermit 100% and hermit was the aggressor trying to get conch after split them up while conch jumping away and it seems op conch doing same,just op only seen conch jumping to safety but again thats very interesting video,thanks for sharing,nature absoloutely amazing ( scary but amazing ha ha )
I had one of these... didn't know until all my fish were devoured

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back