Need advice for first time online coral purchasing

maugustine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always picked my corals out at my local store.. I would like to order some online.. what are good.. quality.. reputable places to buy online,? Do the corals.. ever die in transit?

thx in advance for any help

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many good places, some are already listed. My recommendation is to know the weather where you are and where they are, especially during winter and summer. If you can wait for more moderate weather there is less worry about good survival. I have had losses and poorer viability when specimens are more stressed from extreme weather travel.

Upvote 0

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherry Corals and WWC are both amazing! FishofHex, Unique corals, Austin Aqua Farms, and Tidal Gardens as well. If you check out anyone else just check to see what their DOA policy is in case their frags don't make it. Most good retailers will have an arrive alive guarantee of some sort.

I was nervous buying online at first but I have only had great experience with the vendors I listed.

Upvote 0

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bunch of them sponsor this site, so you can check ads. There's also the livestock selling/trading forum here and many people ship.

Dying in transit IME is usually caused by a delay (storm, shipping at a busy time of year, or you live out in some forgotten wasteland like Eastern Montana). Extreme heat or cold can be a problem, but if it's well packed, the coral can usually survive overnight. But it can't survive more than 24 hours if there's a delay. My (limited) experience suggests that extreme cold isn't often a problem for 12 hours since they usually come packed with heat packs. But extreme heat can kill corals, whether in a tank or the back of a truck. So winter is a better time to order than summer.

Upvote 0

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about ordering a frag pack from wwc. They're only about 3 hours away from from me. I guess I can rule out the extreme weather changes. Florida is just hot all the time.

Upvote 0

tgafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about ordering a frag pack from wwc. They're only about 3 hours away from from me. I guess I can rule out the extreme weather changes. Florida is just hot all the time.
I would advocate a visit if it's 3 hours away. No worries about your delivery being delayed and the store is simply amazing.

For the OP I have purchased from 5 different suppliers in my short time and have not had a DOA. I can tell you that Cherry Corals frags are consistantly considerably larger than the other 4 I have ordered from.

Upvote 1

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are 3 hours from WWC, I suggest making a day trip. We did that on a road trip from PA to FL, and were blown away by the store and the selection. Plus, they held my purchases and shipped them to me after I returned home. Be warned that after visiting WWC you will not have any $'s left for the house of mouse or other attractions.

Upvote 0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 59 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back