First online order and advice

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, I received my first online order of corals from Corals.com and I’m floating on air. I feel like the shipment was excellent in every way. Everything went so smooth I’m almost nervous it’s too good. My questions are 1. Should I keep that rubber band around the toadstool leather? I don’t know why it’s on there? 2. What do you think about that glass cup I have my baby Black Widow BTA in? Do you think it has enough flow? It’s tentacles wave slightly. These glass cups were bought for putting plants in in my freshwater aquarium that had a weird substrate.

I think my frags look good. The pictures were taken about 5 minutes after I got them in the tank. I’m back at work now and watching them on a baby monitor. I’m wondering if I’ve gone off the deep end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the photos that didn't upload

Attachments

• IMG_2348.JPEG
    IMG_2348.JPEG
    150.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2343.JPEG
    IMG_2343.JPEG
    118.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2347.JPEG
    IMG_2347.JPEG
    140.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2346.JPEG
    IMG_2346.JPEG
    166.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2336.JPEG
    IMG_2336.JPEG
    93.2 KB · Views: 61

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, I received my first online order of corals from Corals.com and I’m floating on air. I feel like the shipment was excellent in every way. Everything went so smooth I’m almost nervous it’s too good. My questions are 1. Should I keep that rubber band around the toadstool leather? I don’t know why it’s on there? 2. What do you think about that glass cup I have my baby Black Widow BTA in? Do you think it has enough flow? It’s tentacles wave slightly. These glass cups were bought for putting plants in in my freshwater aquarium that had a weird substrate.

I think my frags look good. The pictures were taken about 5 minutes after I got them in the tank. I’m back at work now and watching them on a baby monitor. I’m wondering if I’ve gone off the deep end . - I’m being told my photos are too big to upload. Hopefully they will anyway.
As you said your photos aren't linked but wanted to answer about toadstool. Some vendors attach toadstools to rocks using rubber bands to speed up the attachment process. Has the tissue of the toadstool fused to the rock? If so it's fine to remove the rubber band

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Small nems can be tricky. Be sure to guard your flow. Sometimes using a piece of cardboard can block the lights and not the light on your corals. Your already great photos will really pop when in focus. Also consider investing in an orange filter. Can’t wait to see more. Kee it up

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Small nems can be tricky. Be sure to guard your flow. Sometimes using a piece of cardboard can block the lights and not the light on your corals. Your already great photos will really pop when in focus. Also consider investing in an orange filter. Can’t wait to see more. Kee it up
Oh awesome tip about the cardboard. I try to swing the lights out of the way and that doesn't work. You know I do have those reef glasses. If you look you can see the frame of the glasses. Also, after getting those glasses I got smart and thought I'd try lenses that clip onto your phone but those lenses aren't good at all. It's funny that the tank looks pretty bright until you try to take a photo and the blue light just nails you. Thanks for the tip about the flow. I was hoping the cup would make him happy. There are a few nice pieces of rubble and a little sand in there to tempt him to stay. I'll see if I can rig some sponge over the inflow at the top of the tank when I get home.

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be carful with the rubber band. While they can be used to get leathers to attach they can also frag leathers if they are too tight. Speaking from experience :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Should I give it a slight tug? I'm thinking I did see a little pink/tan fleshy looking foot under it so maybe I could take it off. I did think it looked like it was digging in.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh awesome tip about the cardboard. I try to swing the lights out of the way and that doesn't work. You know I do have those reef glasses. If you look you can see the frame of the glasses. Also, after getting those glasses I got smart and thought I'd try lenses that clip onto your phone but those lenses aren't good at all. It's funny that the tank looks pretty bright until you try to take a photo and the blue light just nails you. Thanks for the tip about the flow. I was hoping the cup would make him happy. There are a few nice pieces of rubble and a little sand in there to tempt him to stay. I'll see if I can rig some sponge over the inflow at the top of the tank when I get home.
There is a super pico sized nem somewhere in my 120. Hope he reappears someday.

Attaching nems is tough and they can decide against your placement anytime.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I give it a slight tug? I'm thinking I did see a little pink/tan fleshy looking foot under it so maybe I could take it off. I did think it looked like it was digging in.

You should be able to tell if it's too tight, it will start to dig into the flesh.

Maybe contact the vendor and see what they recommend. I'd hate to tell you to take it off and have it float away.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back