Need advice for tank cycle

Donnyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello just wanted to get some feedback , i can see my tank cycle like crazy right now both nitrates and nitrates both exploded after that fritz zyme 9 and just didnt know if i should leave it or is there anything i have to do to benefit this process? Or just let her run this course? Thanks in advance

20210202_080111.jpg

BigCalhouna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience will benefit the process from my experience! Just wait until your nitrites drop down to almost if not 0 while still adding ammonia to the system and then your nitrates will spike and you do a small water change

OP
OP
Donnyreefer

Donnyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience will benefit the process from my experience! Just wait until your nitrites drop down to almost if not 0 while still adding ammonia to the system and then your nitrates will spike and you do a small water change
So the shrimp i had in there got taken out on accident last night should i throw another in ? You want constant levels of ammonia?

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say how many days was it in for? How many days have you been cycling for? Did you get it to 2ppm? Either way your nitrates have increased meaning bacteria is definitely alive. Just wait now, I wouldn't add another ammonia source for now. Maybe some ammonia from a bottle in a couple days or if you have some fish flakes a pinch of that will be enough.

OP
OP
Donnyreefer

Donnyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say how many days was it in for? How many days have you been cycling for? Did you get it to 2ppm? Either way your nitrates have increased meaning bacteria is definitely alive. Just wait now, I wouldn't add another ammonia source for now. Maybe some ammonia from a bottle in a couple days or if you have some fish flakes a pinch of that will be enough.
I wouldnt say 2ppm maybe 1ppm and it was barley in there 2 days so i just wasnt sure , gonna stay on top of testing

BigCalhouna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt say 2ppm maybe 1ppm and it was barley in there 2 days so i just wasnt sure , gonna stay on top of testing
If you see your ammonia drop and your nitrites rising then I’d add a little bit of ammonia but as rusty said you do have the bacteria already just need to test and monitor as the cycle finishes up!

In other news how big is your tank and what’re you planning to do with it? Is it your first tank? (Not important to cycling just see it in the background of the picture)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Donnyreefer

Donnyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see your ammonia drop and your nitrites rising then I’d add a little bit of ammonia but as rusty said you do have the bacteria already just need to test and monitor as the cycle finishes up!

In other news how big is your tank and what’re you planning to do with it? Is it your first tank? (Not important to cycling just see it in the background of the picture)
Its a 20 gallon long that i took the front rim off and painted the back black and custom stand , its my first saltwater tank so i appreciate any help

OP
OP
Donnyreefer

Donnyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im planning on doing a softy/zoe garden tank nothing to fancy but enough to get into and learn this hobby lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back