Need advice/guidance on AIO aquariums!!

cbia123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently contemplating diving into the reefing hobby, but I need some guidance! I have experience with freshwater systems from the past, but was always mesmerized by the possibility of owning a saltwater aquarium. Consequently, I have been doing a ton of research on nano reef systems. Also, I am a graduate student, so I am trying to tailor everything to be as budget-friendly as possible, which means I am looking at AIO's that are less than 20 gallons. After doing a ton of research and mining the threads on this site, a few setups I am looking at are the Coralife Biocube 16 and the Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 10. I really like the Biocube because it seems like you can have a good amount of success without needing to spend a ton on upgrades. I like that the light is programmable and good enough for LPS and soft corals. Similarly, I really like how the hood cuts down on evaporation and gives the aquarium an overall compact and attractive look. All in all, it seems like a very reasonable aquarium to maintain and have success with. Despite this, it seems like the IM Nuvo Fusion 10 is the gold standard for AIO nano reef aquariums. With so many people recommending it on the forums, it seems like it has to be in the running. I really like the compact, cube shape and how it looks. My only concern is the price of all the equipment needed. For a light, I would gravitate towards the AI Prime because of reputation, controlability, and ease of use. Additionally, I would probably get an ATO due to evaporation concerns from an open top. If my calculations are correct, that would put the price of this setup around $500 before purchasing any sand, rock, media, livestock, or corals. I should also mention that I would probably get an RO/DI unit as well in either case, only inflating the price further for the Nuvo 10.

As of now, I would say I am leaning towards to the Biocube primarily due to price, maintenance, and simplicity. Please share any guidance or experiences! I am also open to any other ideas you all have!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R! IMO one of the drawbacks to the biocube 16 is that it is not as upgradeable and customizable as the IM Nuvo Fusion 10g. I have had an IM 10g for a while and am just starting to think about upgrading the light and flow so realize that you don't have to do it all at once. You can start with a pair of ocellaris clowns and then upgrade the light later as you move into corals. The AI Prime is a great choice for the IM 10g tank and a black box budget option that some people use for that tank is the Hipargo Aqua Knight 30w.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either will suit your needs fine. You could also do something like

My lfs has one on the counter for shrimp. Very cool little tank. Your cheapest option is probably a simple 10 gallon standard tank with some hang on equipment.

I have had several AIO and nano tanks over the years and they always do best for me. The larger systems i’ve tried just seemed to always have some sort of issue.

Don’t forget the flow aspect either. You don’t need to break the bank but you will likely need to add a small powerhead after you get the rock in place. A simple Koralia or Sicce nano would be good but if you can swing something like an Aqamai KPS you definitely won’t regret it.

An AI prime would be perfect or maybe a Kessil A80 if you want to save just a little more $.

For ATO I would definitely take a look at the Reef Breeders Prism. Its cheaper than most other options and has been rock solid for me. Other than that the Autoaqua smart ato micro is about as compact as you can get.

If you pull the trigger make sure to post the build!

OP
OP
C

cbia123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#WelcometoR2R! IMO one of the drawbacks to the biocube 16 is that it is not as upgradeable and customizable as the IM Nuvo Fusion 10g. I have had an IM 10g for a while and am just starting to think about upgrading the light and flow so realize that you don't have to do it all at once. You can start with a pair of ocellaris clowns and then upgrade the light later as you move into corals. The AI Prime is a great choice for the IM 10g tank and a black box budget option that some people use for that tank is the Hipargo Aqua Knight 30w.
Good point. Thank you for the feedback. I have heard of the Aqua Knight. For $60, or whatever it is, it seems like a powerful light. Only thing I don't like about it is that you have to manually turn it on and off and manually change different intensities throughout the day. I guess that might be a worthwhile trade off for the price point. So would you argue that the IM 10 is far and away a better option than the biocube?

OP
OP
C

cbia123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either will suit your needs fine. You could also do something like

My lfs has one on the counter for shrimp. Very cool little tank. Your cheapest option is probably a simple 10 gallon standard tank with some hang on equipment.

I have had several AIO and nano tanks over the years and they always do best for me. The larger systems i’ve tried just seemed to always have some sort of issue.

Don’t forget the flow aspect either. You don’t need to break the bank but you will likely need to add a small powerhead after you get the rock in place. A simple Koralia or Sicce nano would be good but if you can swing something like an Aqamai KPS you definitely won’t regret it.

An AI prime would be perfect or maybe a Kessil A80 if you want to save just a little more $.

For ATO I would definitely take a look at the Reef Breeders Prism. Its cheaper than most other options and has been rock solid for me. Other than that the Autoaqua smart ato micro is about as compact as you can get.

If you pull the trigger make sure to post the build!
I have looked at a "DIY" 10 gallon build. While I'm open to it, for some reason I just like the clean-look of the AIO's. I have seen some threads where they disputed the need for an ATO on an IM 10. Would you strongly encourage it?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
To start out and get your feet wet, either of those will work. Good catch on the flow. Very necessary. I began with a 28g JBJ with stock DE MH. It was great for the three years until I upgraded. Easy to clean, compact design, grew corals nice and even a clam.
Trust us, once you get the hang of the little tank, you will go bigger. :p

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good point. Thank you for the feedback. I have heard of the Aqua Knight. For $60, or whatever it is, it seems like a powerful light. Only thing I don't like about it is that you have to manually turn it on and off and manually change different intensities throughout the day. I guess that might be a worthwhile trade off for the price point. So would you argue that the IM 10 is far and away a better option than the biocube?

There are so many perspectives and future plans to consider that I am hesitant to say "far and away", but I did want to add a counter perspective to challenge your initial thinking to help you hone in on the best decision for you. If you want a tank that you can use to try out the hobby and see if it is for you before you upgrade into a larger system then the Biocube may be a great option. If you want a tank that you will be able to upgrade and will be small outpost (even for more demanding corals) then the IM may be a good option. I will add that my IM 10g is one of several saltwater systems that I have and I enjoy having it as part of collection of tanks.

Additionally, I would also suggest an ATO because one of the biggest challenges with a nano is stability.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck if you go with the IM tank maybe look at the 20? It’s not much more $ and everything you need to the 10g will do just fine on the 20g. One downside if you like cubes is the 20g is rectangular.

My nuvo20 cost me about $700 brand new of everything needed minus fish and coral. Lights, ato, powerhead etc. the ato I got one of the more expensive ones at $200 and you could get a smaller one for around $60-100. This was around black Friday and most things were on sale. Maybe keep eyes out for summertime sales coming up to score somethings cheap.

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider that no matter what you do, you are in it for an ATO and an RO/DI system. Likewise with the rocks and livestock. Those costs cancel each other out regardless, so thats an easy $400 or so, depending on the livestock. After that its just the difference in the cost of the tanks and lighting for the NUVO. A decent 4x bulb t5 is going to add $100 to the cost of the NUVO, LED considerably more. If you are the kind of person who buys something and is happy with what they got, never upgrading it, then go Corallife. If you are the kind of person that the majority here are, always trying to make it a little better, I'd go NUVO. In the short run, either is going to do just fine. In the long run, well, who are we kidding, you'll get a bigger tank as soon as you can afford it. Disclaimer, I do have a NUVO 40, so I am jaded, but I tried not to let that reflect in the logic. And I havent done all those upgrades, I basically have what you said you were going to get, and I am happy with what I have.....for now.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back