Need advice on equipment !!

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so currently i have a 60 gallon mixed reef running on a hang on filter bio wheel....canister filter.....and hob reef octopus....3 ai prime 16hd i have been running this tank successfully for over a year with this equipment...i just bought a ruby 30 sump.....hydor seltz 1000gph return pump....ehopps hob pf-1000 overflow just have to get a skimmer did i go over board for filtration or is this a sufficient for this tank?

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think once you've set up the sump and everything has been steady for a while, you can probably start to decommission the hang on filter and canister filter and hob, one-by-one/slowly. Just test often to make sure params are in check.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your bioload.

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think once you've set up the sump and everything has been steady for a while, you can probably start to decommission the hang on filter and canister filter and hob, one-by-one/slowly. Just test often to make sure params are in check.
absolutley i plan on stopping all that i just needed to get a sump set up it was time i just didn't know if i went over board i wouldn't seem like it would matter just seems big i want a refugium so it had to happen thanks

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider just adding components gradually based on need instead of everything at once.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am also kinda worried on setting the whole thing up i feel like its going to be a nightmare to dial in....i bought some dry shelf rock to put in sump for now and dose pods or is cheto the way to go?
You could do all of this and it would be fine. Once you put in Chaeto though it will be lowering your phosphates and nitrates.

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider just adding components gradually based on need instead of everything at once.
i agree i feel like i should run my hob skimmer until mine dials in other than that obviously I will switch my heater in there and so on but canister will be first thing i get rid off that should be first correct?

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree i feel like i should run my hob skimmer until mine dials in other than that obviously I will switch my heater in there and so on but canister will be first thing i get rid off that should be first correct?.....then i will just add the media in the sock run chemi pure in other baffle nothing major i just thought i bought to big of equipment

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'd ditch the canister first.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back