Need advice on moving a mixed reef "not far from current home"

DanSavesTheDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start off I'd like to say that I hope all my fellow reefers are doing great and had a great holiday season.

I am going to be moving into a new house about 15 minutes away and need advice on how I should move my 90 gallon reef with 20 gallon sump. The tank is plumped into the sump inside the stand. I do have a pretty thick sand bed and have been advised to replace the sand bed with new livesand when moving. The rockwork was put together with reef cement when first setting up the tank and I have tons of frags glued/puttied to the rocks. The majority of my mixed reef is sps frags and mini colonies and I need advice on how to keep them from stressing and RTN'ing during the move.

Also would like advice on catching the fish so that I may put them in the needed QT for a few weeks as I would like to treat them for flukes "they have been scratching". I was thinking of splitting my list of fish into 2 separate 20 gallon QT systems.

Here is my tank information and my fish list

Marineland 90 gallon with corner overflow "on the left"

Fish
Purple Tang
Kole Tang
Bella Goby
Solon Fairy Wrasse
Flame Hawkfish
2x Pink Skunk Clownfish
Tailspot Blenny

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main thing is ditch the sand and have a lot of new water on hand. Get as much of the tank water out as possible. Get as much as possible while water is clear. Make sure new water is exactly the same perimeters as old water. Get coral out first as fast as possible. Should be good as long as eveything is healthy to begin with.

Hope everything goes great for you.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the R2R search function using the key words "moving tank"

I swear theres 1,000,000,000,000 posts on moving a tank 10ft, 10 floors, 10 miles, 100 miles, over a 1000 miles

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of the most important rtn preventions isnt during the xfer, its the setup lighting. cannot go back to full production level or they canbleach

slow ramp up in new place.

rinse your new sand 100%. there is a thread kicked up right now on pre rinsing, it takes a really long time.

*******you dont have to dose bottle bac or make random purchases, we move tanks for 30 pages in the sand rinse thread and all you need to do is pre rinse the new sand and your existing live rock bacteria will ride over, handle all the same fish, and with ramped down lighting you'll be set.

*take each section of live rock you can access during the move and use saltwater only to jet out the crevices and dislodge detritus like a dental office visit, do this to impart longevity and increase filtration capacity in the new setup. you can use all new water at the new place if you like, if not I agree above siphon off and move only the clean upper 3rd of the water before mass takedown.

you can rinse the sand in tap water bc it will take one hour per bag, final rinse in RO then use it cloudlessly in the new tank. the sand rinse thread is all that above for 30 pages we'd like your before during after pics

if you transfer some detritus then you risk some partial loss or mini cycle

if you transfer zero, true zero detritus in rocks or sand, you risk 0% recycle your loss is more likely from initial light burn. in my nonslanted opinion the data from a work thread is safer than single-point move data. for example, ive never seen the light ramp up mentioned in a single point move but if you skip that step in a 1000 tank work thread, 50 of them burn, and if you implement it, zero burn. there's siftable gold in work threads yep its the best standard in reefing to test a claim/patterns emergent

Back