Need advice on next move

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try to be brief. My tank is 2 years old a Nuvo 30L. It looks great! Yesterday I treated some aptasia will a kalk slurry. I did my best to avoid the slurry getting on any coral. It upset the entire tank. Bc some mushrooms were closed up, I didn’t to remove a few Bc they were a eye sore to me and I wanted something else on the rock. When I turned the return back on, things got worst. Almost all the corals were covered in slime, angry, and closed up. The tank looks real bad. I lost a birdsnest, a stylo, grinch monti, a few chyphastrea, and a chalice. The euphyillia look real bad but I’m confident they will bounce back as will the other corals. I’m confident Bc I had a crash earlier in the year and things recovered miraculously. Should I do a water change? I have water ready. Should I leave the tank alone and just let it do it’s thing. (I know I need to keep my hands out of the tank more). Should I spot feed corals that show signs of recovery? Any advice #reefsqad
DA484168-9CB1-41C3-9AB3-B723A9DE1A3B.jpeg
9D657597-4A93-4B83-8E75-05EA2F8B3F87.jpeg
3E2E295B-BDED-4FBD-9F79-80B420AC9120.jpeg
2BD76E36-A24E-4C5B-8E7C-8A88E2C2CDCB.jpeg
A1772F33-2622-4DFB-BCA3-BA5E1A4CAC55.jpeg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to test your alkalinity to see how much it changed from the kalk addition before you change anything.

+1 on this

Whenever I used Kalk Paste to control aptasia I always treated during a water change. Turn off all powerheads and pumps, paste over as many as I wanted to, wait for 10-20 minutes, then begin my water change by sucking up all the kalk paste. Corals were still mad however it only lasted maybe 30 minutes and life was good again.

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to test your alkalinity to see how much it changed from the kalk addition before you change anything.
Alk changed from 8.4 to 9.2. I use TM pro. I think that mixes at 7.8 - 8.0. Do you think a water change would help. I have kalk in a 5 gallon ato(low dose I think 1/4 tsp). Would diluting it with fresh RODI help?

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this

Whenever I used Kalk Paste to control aptasia I always treated during a water change. Turn off all powerheads and pumps, paste over as many as I wanted to, wait for 10-20 minutes, then begin my water change by sucking up all the kalk paste. Corals were still mad however it only lasted maybe 30 minutes and life was good again.
This sounds good. I honestly prob won’t do it ever again. Sure I could’ve been more meticulous but it really hurt. I am still crying inside lol but yeah alk is up 1 dkh almost. My tank has prob 25 gallons of water after displacement. Is a 5 gallon wc too much? Should I go 2 gallons. I don’t want to stress the corals but I think I would help

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference would be to let it come down by itself and not dose or top off with anything containing alk until the alk is back to normal. My thoughts are there was already a fast change, a gradual return to normal would be better than another fast change down.

Some will say do a water change to get it back to your desired level. Here's some reading material:

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference would be to let it come down by itself and not dose or top off with anything containing alk until the alk is back to normal. My thoughts are there was already a fast change, a gradual return to normal would be better than another fast change down.

Some will say do a water change to get it back to your desired level. Here's some reading material:
I totally agree. I am seeing a big bounce back in the acans. That makes me fee a lot better but I want to do what I can to save the euphyillia. I will do a 3 gallon wc. That should bring the alk down a smug and than I’ll leave the tank alone. Should I dip anything?

OP
OP
coronarex

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is looking great guys!!! i did a small wc almost 2 weeks ago and left the tank alone. i did lose a 4 headed frogspawn. yesterday i tested the parameters. cal 475 alk 8.0 mag 1280 nitrates 1 phos 0.6. these parameters look good to me. ill dose 5 ml of mag and throw in some brs gfo.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back