Need advice or strategy for ridding camel cow fish of ick

Jwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all and thanks in advance for any help you can provide
My wife’s tank has 2 camel cow fish 2 clowns and a lawnmower blenny, the bigger cow about 2” we’ve had for 2 years and the smaller cow 1” 1 year , and the clowns and blenny are also around 2 years , a month ago I added a small melanarus wrasse and admittedly didn’t quarantine, (I know bone head move ) the wrasse ate well for one week then 1 night didn’t eat and was found dead the next morning I never noticed ick on the wrasse or any of the other fish during that week but a couple days later both camel cow fish had ick not super bad but spots on fins and a couple on body , I immediately started feeding Mysis with metroplex and focus2 times daily and giving them a small amount of extra food a couple times a day , then started the polyp labs medic doing the max dose for 20 days and added a small Uv at the same time . they’ve had it now for over a month and I’ve watched the spots come and go there still eating like pigs and seem healthy but the bigger of the 2 has gotten a lil pale lately , the clowns and blenny haven’t shown any signs this whole time , these are my wife’s babies and awesome fish ,I’m not sure wat to do next because I can’t find much info on treating this type of fish or safe medications I have a quarantine system and a decent selection of meds, display tank has coral inverts and a clam
Srry for the drawn out story just trying to put out as much info as possible
Thanks again
89547106-4F1C-48F0-B512-50976F846BF1.jpeg
8B3739E4-3BB2-489C-B684-68062B5FDBDF.jpeg
0EC4A959-9934-4E8D-AE0F-6702961EEF58.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening

Love those guys. Never kept them and not much of a disease guy, but we should have someone around. I am not sure if you can use copper or cp so we will see.. what they have to say. Keep up good feeding and supplements. Vitamins in my experience really help. From your description of it coming in going it sounds like they are fighting the disease off. in the meantime what meds you have and any access to a qt or hospital tank?

See if any other #reefsqaud , I think I saw @Big G

OP
OP
Jwill

Jwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply and yes I have a hospital/qt tank I can set up
And have
Metroplex
Kanaplex
Neoplex
Cupramine
Paraguard
Prazipro
Nitrofuracin green powder
Rapid cure
And a couple packets of safety stop

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nicely prepared, we will keep any eye out, someone should stop by.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treating fish like Cowfish, puffers, eels with copper can be very risky. I've treated puffers with copper, but not cowfish.
For that catagory of fish TTM, Hyposalinity or CP would be a less risky path:

OP
OP
Jwill

Jwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your time I have a 20 gal long for a hospital tank , if I was to buy another to do TTM would I need to worry about ammonia with the 2 cow fish , 2 clowns and one lawn mower blenny over the 72 hr period

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your time I have a 20 gal long for a hospital tank , if I was to buy another to do TTM would I need to worry about ammonia with the 2 cow fish , 2 clowns and one lawn mower blenny over the 72 hr period

FYI, Petco 1 a gallon in my area

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem's Prime will help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back