need advice with plumbing / return pump / sump

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys so i got a dumb question here after setting up my tank and sump ran into a few issues
my piping is all 1 inch id say pretty big?
i have 2x 1 inch lines running down into socks
and 1 emergency line which i have locked off for now
but when i turn my return pump on i have to run it literally on like like 40% power cause its not getting enough water from the drains is this normal?
the pump im using is Amazon.com : Jebao DCT Marine Controllable Water Pump : Pet Supplies
the tank has a flow box built into it with 3 drain lines

am i doing something wrong?

also i need some bulkheads cause the ones i have on the tank are dripping alittle saw some on amazon just dont know if they any good?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open the emergency line, nothing should flow there anyway but it is there just in case.
With the pump OFF, fill the sump to 3 inches of the top & start the pump. This should be close to your max water level in the sump when running & everything should run with out a problem.
You have a Bean Animal drain system. Almost all your return water should be going back in 1 pipe with a trickle in the other & NOTHING in the emergency.
I suggest reading up on it so you understand how it functions. It is the safest yet.
Your bulkheads should be installed with the rubber gasket on the flange side, NOT under the nut. Hand tight + 1/4 turn max. Make sure the surface is clean on both sides.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
also i need some bulkheads cause the ones i have on the tank are dripping alittle saw some on amazon just dont know if they any good?
May need proper lubricant to help make a proper seal and make sure the gaskets are on correctly.

Edit: if there are ridges on the gaskets, those need to face up. Flat part against glass.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good question but when i turn the system off the sump fills up pretty much 3 inches from the top. so i would say so?

Sounds like it then.

Does the main drain maintain a full siphon and just a small amount of flow down the secondary?

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your display is filling up and close to overflowing because the drains cannot keep up? This is the situation your emergency drain is there for, open it up, but as snoopy said you shouldn't need it under normal operation.

Is your return pump chamber in the sump running dry before the level in the display reaches the operating level for your overflow? Then probably need to adjust the heights of the tubes in your overflow box.

regarding bulkheads, I always buy extra when setting up tanks because it seems like I crack one every time trying to get them tight enough to get the leaks to stop. Some folks even silicone them in, but I dont really like that approach myself. They are hard to find locally so having an extra on hand in case of emergency gives me peace of mind too.

Thinking more about your pump size vs your drain sizes.

A single 1" PVC drain line from an overflow should be able to flow around 900 gph, and less if you have a bunch of elbows in the drain piping.

The pump you linked showed up as a 30 watt, 1,056 gph, unit. However, that amazon page lists several other sizes as well, so which exact model you have would help us. If you have the larger pumps on there, that could be your problem too and again this is where the emergency drain should come in.

If that is the correct pump, then at 100% power, you should have more then enough drain capacity with 2 pipes in use and one saved for emergency.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sump is full like you mentioned then the valve has to be adjusted on the main drain. That is why I recommended you read up on a Bean drain system.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your display is filling up and close to overflowing because the drains cannot keep up? This is the situation your emergency drain is there for, open it up, but as snoopy said you shouldn't need it under normal operation.

Is your return pump chamber in the sump running dry before the level in the display reaches the operating level for your overflow? Then probably need to adjust the heights of the tubes in your overflow box.

regarding bulkheads, I always buy extra when setting up tanks because it seems like I crack one every time trying to get them tight enough to get the leaks to stop. Some folks even silicone them in, but I dont really like that approach myself. They are hard to find locally so having an extra on hand in case of emergency gives me peace of mind too.

Thinking more about your pump size vs your drain sizes.

A single 1" PVC drain line from an overflow should be able to flow around 900 gph, and less if you have a bunch of elbows in the drain piping.

The pump you linked showed up as a 30 watt, 1,056 gph, unit. However, that amazon page lists several other sizes as well, so which exact model you have would help us. If you have the larger pumps on there, that could be your problem too and again this is where the emergency drain should come in.

If that is the correct pump, then at 100% power, you should have more then enough drain capacity with 2 pipes in use and one saved for emergency.
well ill show you some pictures of my setup, i made a replica of the ruby 36 sump which is roughly 35g the drain chamber gets about 60% the fuge chamber around the same until it hits the draining line where it goes through a sponge into the return chamber which stays around 30% water basically the pump is covered and thats it
when i open up all 3 drains going down into the sump i can run the pump at 4-5 out of 10 speed which doesnt really list how much GPH that really is...
but when i run all 3 drain lines thats 2 plus the emergency one i get about 40% of the return chamber filled feel like im not getting enough flow into the sump

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 72
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 65
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 60
  • tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 65
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 59
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this the flowbox i have

Attachments

• flowbox.jpg
    flowbox.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 73

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK-- I see a problem right away.
The drain pipes are supposed to be between 1/2 - 2 inches BELOW the running water line in the sump.
This is how you get a full siphon drain, leaving the ends open to air like you have them above the socks is a NO-GO. Again I say-- Read up on how a Bean Animal drain works!!! The emergency drain can be left above the water line so it makes noise alerting you something is wrong.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?
Which return pump size specifically?
What size overflow box (rated gph)?
the tank is a 75 gallon rimless
the return pump is 1050gph at max speed
not 100% sure about the rating of the overflow box all just bought it like this probably have to change up things inside by the looks of the bean animal drain

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is a 75 gallon rimless
the return pump is 1050gph at max speed
not 100% sure about the rating of the overflow box all just bought it like this probably have to change up things inside by the looks of the bean animal drain

the 1050 gph is at 0' head so you will not get that much.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 1050 gph is at 0' head so you will not get that much.
well thats fine but i cant even get the pump past speed 3-4 got 10 speeds because im getting limited flow im starting to think my sumps strain section might too high? and isnt giving me constant flow to have a full syphon

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to fix your plumbing before you are going to get consistent flow ti get a full siphon.

This is a good article by the person that came up with the Beananimal drain system

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to fix your plumbing before you are going to get consistent flow ti get a full siphon.

This is a good article by the person that came up with the Beananimal drain system

i understand what the bean animal setup is problem is im thinking it might be the sump wall where the sponge is i made holes it in to flow water through maybe they arent low enough not sure

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.2%
Back