OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then pull the sponge until you figure it out.
well i did manage to get a siphon going by adding 90 degree elbos two facing down one facing up but its still giving me alot of noise im guessing the air is creeping between the 90 and the out pipe alot of wiggle room there
i have to replace the bulkheads cause their leaking might just add the 90 on a tighter fit.
balanced out the water alittle better for sure
what i did see happen every like 30 seconds the flowbox would get alittle more water in it then drop out then alittle more and drop down like the system was choking?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the bulkheads from Coralvue have good recommendations.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK-- I see a problem right away.
The drain pipes are supposed to be between 1/2 - 2 inches BELOW the running water line in the sump.
This is how you get a full siphon drain, leaving the ends open to air like you have them above the socks is a NO-GO. Again I say-- Read up on how a Bean Animal drain works!!! The emergency drain can be left above the water line so it makes noise alerting you something is wrong.
This right here is the issue or at least the majority of it.

You aren't getting a full siphon. Your exit pipe is above the water line to is trying to back fill with air at the same time. This majorly slows things down and makes them louder.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This right here is the issue or at least the majority of it.

You aren't getting a full siphon. Your exit pipe is above the water line to is trying to back fill with air at the same time. This majorly slows things down and makes them louder.
i fixed that already 2 return lines are going about 2-3 inches under water now, the siphon happens i just need to adjust the valve to stop the sucking noise i made it that the 1st pipe had a full siphon going so when i put my hand on it was sucking it in by force so im pretty sure the siphon is going

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i fixed that already 2 return lines are going about 2-3 inches under water now, the siphon happens i just need to adjust the valve to stop the sucking noise i made it that the 1st pipe had a full siphon going so when i put my hand on it was sucking it in by force so im pretty sure the siphon is going
Sounds like you're on the right track. Fwiw, I've found ball valves like the ones you have installed to be less than ideal for dialing in. Gate valves have the ability for a fine tune in flow that a ball valve lacks.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're on the right track. Fwiw, I've found ball valves like the ones you have installed to be less than ideal for dialing in. Gate valves have the ability for a fine tune in flow that a ball valve lacks.
gate valves yah where can i get one of those home depot?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gate valves yah where can i get one of those home depot?
The home Depot by me it does not carry gate valves. I would first do a quick Google search in your area for plumbing specialty stores and give them a call. BRS has them but honestly they're twice the price.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also basically what i got from the bean animal setup 2 of my drains will be facing down 1 facing up incase too much water fills or a problem happens correct? then i get the gate valve and fine tune it so one of the drains is basically less flow and removes the noise correct?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also basically what i got from the bean animal setup 2 of my drains will be facing down 1 facing up incase too much water fills or a problem happens correct? then i get the gate valve and fine tune it so one of the drains is basically less flow and removes the noise correct?

The second drain should have a hole/hose so it does not try to siphon until the water level goes up in the overflow box. Under normal conditions this will just be a small amount of flow.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second drain should have a hole/hose so it does not try to siphon until the water level goes up in the overflow box. Under normal conditions this will just be a small amount of flow.
i mean both of the drain lines are the same height should they be different?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back