Need advice

caw111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experience an out break of Dinoflagellates we think. We have a 100 gallon tank.

We clean the sand bed and did a chem-clean treatment, did a 25 gallon water change . After that we added Micribacter7, blacked out the tank for 3 days multiple times. The brown stuff started turning black..the tank looked awful.

We removed all sand and rocks, boiled it and returned to the tank. Added a clean up crew and pods to the tank. Changed out the filters on the RO/DI system...looked great for 2 weeks.

Now the brown stuff is coming back on one side of the tank. We have one J
ump 4K Gyre Flow Pump (4,000 GPH) - Maxspect on the end of the tank that is still clean. Brown stuff is turning black.

Do you have any ideas of what we can try?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experience an out break of Dinoflagellates we think. We have a 100 gallon tank.

We clean the sand bed and did a chem-clean treatment, did a 25 gallon water change . After that we added Micribacter7, blacked out the tank for 3 days multiple times. The brown stuff started turning black..the tank looked awful.

We removed all sand and rocks, boiled it and returned to the tank. Added a clean up crew and pods to the tank. Changed out the filters on the RO/DI system...looked great for 2 weeks.

Now the brown stuff is coming back on one side of the tank. We have one J
ump 4K Gyre Flow Pump (4,000 GPH) - Maxspect on the end of the tank that is still clean. Brown stuff is turning black.

Do you have any ideas of what we can try?
What coral did you have in the tank? It is not a good idea to boil you rock especially if you had zoa at any time in the tank. That being said we need to know age of the setup prior to reset, picture would help, a rundown on your setup besides tank size.

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ID the dinos to better understand what approach to take.
imo there is no quick way of fighting dinos but you will beat them
took me 3-4 months but im growing acros now so there is hope

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We removed all sand and rocks, boiled it and returned to the tank.
As mentioned above, boiling or cooking anything in your tank is probably not a good idea (harmless at best, potentially deadly at worst), so I'd strongly advise against doing this again in the future.

That said, Welcome to Reef2Reef!

How old is your tank, as I'm personally guessing the tank is young and still just maturing through the "uglies" stages - if so, the general advice I've seen is to basically just let it run its course.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ID the dinos to better understand what approach to take.
imo there is no quick way of fighting dinos but you will beat them
took me 3-4 months but im growing acros now so there is hope
I have dinos infesting my sandbed in my classroom reef and corals showing great growth at the same time. Nuts. I am just beating them back every chance I get and getting the water parameters where I want them in the meantime.

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dinos infesting my sandbed in my classroom reef and corals showing great growth at the same time. Nuts. I am just beating them back every chance I get and getting the water parameters where I want them in the meantime.
yea haha i had the same thing corals where fine(except some sps who hated the dinos) but hoenstly they where not that much of an issue. just take it slow and let the system be stable. slowly raise nutrients and see what happens.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea haha i had the same thing corals where fine(except some sps who hated the dinos) but hoenstly they where not that much of an issue. just take it slow and let the system be stable. slowly raise nutrients and see what happens.
Funny thing is nitrates are at 40ppm and phosphates at .26

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Starting your tank over from scratch with dry rock (which is what you've done, in dangerous fashion, by turning your live sand and rock back into dead rock) does tend to cause pest algae surges, yes.

Some photos would be helpful.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back