Need advise on overflow box

JR2CoooL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get advise on overflow box. I currently have a 100 gal aquarium being filtered by 2 canister filters and though it does okay, Ive always wanted a proper system with a sump. I recently was gifted an 180 gallon oceanic and want to drill it for overflow box and have a sump. I have researched many overflows and since it will be my 1st system with a sump I am having so much trouble deciding what to do for overflow. The aquarium has the thick glass bracing in the center to. Someone at BRS suggested I install 2 L prodigy over flows on each side which would be 4 bores and a total of 6 drain lines. The person at ExoticMarine.com suggested 1 32" overflow with 1" bulkheads but I'm thinking 1 1/2" in the center, he did say because of the bracing my water line would be about a 1/2" below aquarium trim which is where I keep my water level on my current system.
Please I am open to all suggestions as I want to get this right the 1st time.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t obstruct access into the box by installing in underneath the center glass bracing. It will be impossible to install or remove the bulkhead fittings or adjust overflow pipes in the box, which can be helpful for maintaining the tank and keeping the flow quite.

I would look into the prefabricated overflow boxes that come with instructions and an installation template that provides enough flow for the tank system that you want.

That’s all I got for you, good luck!

OP
OP
J

JR2CoooL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t obstruct access into the box by installing in underneath the center glass bracing. It will be impossible to install or remove the bulkhead fittings or adjust overflow pipes in the box, which can be helpful for maintaining the tank and keeping the flow quite.

I would look into the prefabricated overflow boxes that come with instructions and an installation template that provides enough flow for the tank system that you want.

Thank you

OP
OP
J

JR2CoooL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is your thought on the suggestion from BRS to install 2 boxes on the left and right where there is not a brace? Each box has 3 drain lines.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your thought on the suggestion from BRS to install 2 boxes on the left and right where there is not a brace? Each box has 3 drain lines.
You need one.
Two might look more balanced and would add redundancy and might improve the overall flow inside the system but it also reduces the space inside the DT and adds more potential leak locations from additional bulkheads? I prefer more unobstructed space in the DT and less drain lines into the sump. It is easier to install wave pumps for flow control with only one overflow, and there would be fewer holes to drill with only one.
The location of the tank and viewing options would also come into play for your decision. My fish tank has only one and it is my least favorite area to look at, and I am glad I don’t have a second overflow to obstruct the view. Some days I wish it was on the other end of the tank but I have gotten by with only one just fine.

I hope that my lengthy reply will help you decide how you want to proceed with your project. There is a lot to consider but in the end you should have a good system with one or two overflows to conduct water flow into the sump for filtration and dosing operations that support life in the system.

Don’t over think this! Drill baby drill! Maybe you should start a build thread for the tank? Drill and fill.:smiling-face-with-sunglasses::star-struck::smiling-face-with-sunglasses::thinking-face::cool:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back