Need coral ID help

Aplatowski

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2020
Messages
17
Reaction score
13
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both of these corals for many years…what are they?
F4F93DCD-6D13-4639-9AB8-95B55E19D231.jpeg
FCCF4AB7-51E7-4EEE-8DEE-378EC32A7C3D.jpeg
 
May be a leptastrea and cyphastrea.
 
I’ve had both of these corals for many years…what are they?
F4F93DCD-6D13-4639-9AB8-95B55E19D231.jpeg
FCCF4AB7-51E7-4EEE-8DEE-378EC32A7C3D.jpeg
Holy the size of that Galaxea. Yes, it is a galaxea, just by observing the living coral on top and the skeleton at bottom, this id undeniably a Galaxea. Beautiful colony you have there.
 
1. Galaxea
2. Duncanopsammia peltata, commonly misidentified as (and formerly was) turbinaria
Appreciate the work done to help w proper IDs and changes made to naming/ classifications. Trade names only go so far and used for marketing / pricing which is another topic. Lol
 
1. Galaxea
2. Duncanopsammia peltata, commonly misidentified as (and formerly was) turbinaria
+1 to both of these.
Those polyps on the second are too close to not be of the Duncanopsammia genus and I believe the only two species in that genus are Duncanopsammia axifuga and Duncanopsammia peltata. So with the process of elimination, Axifuga is a branching coral whilst peltata is a plating/encrusting coral.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new