Need dissolution help

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Team ive unfortunately loaded down my drain disposal with reef sand during a rip clean and it won’t spin now. I put test sand and vinegar in a test cup and it’s taking forever, not really dissolving and after several overnite dosings w vinegar the drain is still stuck

what’s a practical acid I can get from Home Depot or something that w dissolve the caco3 and not ruin the other metals in the unit

any acid is likely to etch the metals but maybe it’ll free the sand quickly enough I can just rinse the rest out before damage?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly...I would get a broom handle and see if you can free it up (power off, rotate with broom handle, power on, rinse and repeat).

Then I'd go with taking out the disposal and cleaning (even if you have to hire someone). Not worth damaging pipes (that's much more pricey even if you end up buying a new disposal).

Good luck!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the bottom of disposal unit there should be an Allen key slot or maybe even welded nut. They all have something to turn and get blades moving again. Wiggle it back and forth it should clear up for you.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing a garbage disposal can be done with a screw driver and a hammer. There's a large lock nut that just has to be loosened. Just remove it and rinse it upside down with a hose.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you team I’ll do all that, perhaps I should not damage the apartment setup with battery acid, I was about to roll plan A but w change thank you much chem crew

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you team I’ll do all that, perhaps I should not damage the apartment setup with battery acid, I was about to roll plan A but w change thank you much chem crew
Removing the disposal is very easy. Want pics for help?

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the tub, there’s approx half a pound that made it down the drain heh it’s slow now. At the time of pre rinsing the claimed already clean ocean direct sand I wasn’t concerned about the gulping of sand as I thought 5% acetic was going to dispense it like candy, it does not

ps, this is why apartments don’t like aquarists I’m part of the problem. I’m the sandhole of building nine

Last edited:

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh it's an apartment - call the landlord (puts sheets over your fish tanks first - call them modern art or something), tell him you were just cleaning some oysters for dinner. Easy peazy.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for that Allen key slot or nut on bottom first. I'm sure you can get loose. Wife hates it but this is almost monthly occurrence at our house when I clean skimmers. Never fails ill usually have straggler snail or something fall down there and bind it up. But as much pressure you can put on it will make those blades turn.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got lucky I had no idea the broom handle trick took two seconds nice one Quiet! Was going to remove it and rip clean the disposal if that didnt work

for the tub I should go get hydrochloric acid from Home Depot, dump in, wait just shy until it burns out all the piping, run hot water? (Assess speed dissolve in test glass first?)

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got lucky I had no idea the broom handle trick took two seconds nice one Quiet! Was going to remove it and rip clean the disposal if that didnt work

for the tub I should go get hydrochloric acid from Home Depot, dump in, run hot water?
Tub?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing the trap would be much easier if accessible

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they’d have to cut into the shower wall/ tub drain to get to the trap, I’m on bottom floor and there’s no access to tub trap. We better nuke it? I was rinsing it all out in the bathtub originally in a big spaghetti pot, as I poured off the silt a lot of regular sand went down the hatch. Now showers are like standing bogs vs nice drains

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta burn a little out though, it’s for sure pvc piping as I read the hydrochloric is better than sulfuric for pvc? i need my previously quick shower drain back- the five mins to clear is highly unsanitary around my ankles, it feels. I can’t roll with a body shower but an ankles bath, it’s yuck

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting out the standard plunger technique, moves the embolism another ten feet lower/ hope not

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta burn a little out though, it’s for sure pvc piping as I read the hydrochloric is better than sulfuric for pvc? i need my previously quick shower drain back- the five mins to clear is highly unsanitary around my ankles, it feels
Before using acid or calling a professional - I would try plunging with some water in tub (keep water lock in line), the pressurized water to try and blow sand down the pipe (a little sand isn't going to hurt the drain system/sewer line). I might then try to use a wet/dry vac if the drain cover is easily removed and the trap is right below as it should be (that last is optional) as sometimes there's un-removable plug mechanisms.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah homie that is the nuclear option. Quite honestly, a plunger may be your best friend here.

Between my wife and daughter using the same shower, I've had to power wash out a few pipe clogs. Chemicals seem to never work or work too slow. A snake, garden hose, and plunger have never failed me.

Good luck B.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah homie that is the nuclear option. Quite honestly, a plunger may be your best friend here.

Between my wife and daughter using the same shower, I've had to power wash out a few pipe clogs. Chemicals seem to never work or work too slow. A snake, garden hose, and plunger have never failed me.

Good luck B.
Quick move!

For the tub I would shove a garden hose down the drain and turn on the water. Since this will likely shoot water up between the hose and side of drain, wrap a wet cloth around the space and hold it down. Don’t go crazy with the water pressure and blow out the low pressure pipes. Pulse the water on and off.

Back