OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Team I did plunger it like a madman and with a shot of water first thank you all much, in my old age I’ve got very messy with sand and rip cleans I might have to handle the cleaning in the front yard next time for sure, dang near clogged it all

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Team I did plunger it like a madman and with a shot of water first thank you all much, in my old age I’ve got very messy with sand and rip cleans I might have to handle the cleaning in the front yard next time for sure, dang near clogged it all
Other option would be a compressor and air hose. Just need enough to clear the trap.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery acid will not make it better. What are your pipes made of metal or pvc? Pvc is resistant to hydrochloric acid. You could dilute a gallon to about 3 gallons or more to control the reaction rate. If you don't it will get very hot an possibly melt the pipe. Add slowly, and also turn on a fan if you have a vent. Also remember to add acid to water. (for safety reasons)

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very helpful for sure that acid run sounds easy to mess up for sure

how do you access a bathtub trap though it’s all sealed up/ no access panels in the bathroom, that way next time if it clogs worse I’ll know

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing open any windows you can. You will be amazed how much co2 and other gasses it will throw off. That acid will dissolve it. What kind of trap standard U?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pour it right in the drain it will leach into the trap, but may likely corrode the drain part a bit if its metal. Other option hire a plumber with this thing called a jet type system.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very helpful for sure that acid run sounds easy to mess up for sure

how do you access a bathtub trap though it’s all sealed up/ no access panels in the bathroom, that way next time if it clogs worse I’ll know
Traps are designed to access and clean if necessary. I find it’s inaccessibility very odd.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will absolutely not quit my day job, harping about cycles online, for any form of home repair venture

was able to press it all out with the fitted plunger and a jolt of water in the shower drain and won’t be messing around with any more clog risks thats for sure. The whole time sand was going down I kept thinking a mere half gallon of vinegar would dissolve it into milk, no way it would take the power acid for that type of job, with the safety issues etc you guys knew what to plan for that’s for sure.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will absolutely not quit my day job, harping about cycles online, for any form of home repair venture

was able to press it all out with the fitted plunger and a jolt of water in the shower drain and won’t be messing around with any more clog risks thats for sure. The whole time sand was going down I kept thinking a mere half gallon of vinegar would dissolve it into milk, no way it would take the power acid for that type of job, with the safety issues etc you guys knew what to plan for that’s for sure.
Most bathroom have an access panel behind the shower fixtures to the adjacent room. If not then there wouldn't be a way to access the trap without it.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they’d have to cut into the shower wall/ tub drain to get to the trap, I’m on bottom floor and there’s no access to tub trap. We better nuke it? I was rinsing it all out in the bathtub originally in a big spaghetti pot, as I poured off the silt a lot of regular sand went down the hatch. Now showers are like standing bogs vs nice drains
Brandon,

Look into a "Drain Bladder". Basically hooks into a garden hose and fills the drain/pipe to seal and then release high pressure water to try and force out a clog. I've had to use one before to clear a sewer line and it worked like a champ.

Here is what Home Depot calls it:

HuskyMedium Drain Bladder​

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Medium-Drain-Bladder-82-976-111/301879205#ratings-and-reviews

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you coach that again is totally new, similar to what Cell was mentioning with a hose blast but contained, that’s awesome.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back