Need first aquascape feedback

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind that you're trying to create something similar to one of the most complex environments on Earth...starting with a sterile environment just isn't the way I'd go...it's possible to start with only dry rock and I'm sure any minute now someone who started with all dry rock will tell you they've never had a problem in the world...when they tell you that I encourage you to scroll on over to the nuisance algae forums and check out what's commonly termed now "the uglies". I think you'll notice a lot of the tanks with all kinda of dinos, cyano, diatoms, etc. were started all dry. I can't help but believe there's at least some correlation there as well...

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand,

So I have some questions upon that. Im now busy with adding some smaller arches and hiding places. Do fish generally like to hide more up or down in the aquarium? I don't mean fish that obviously only hide at the bottom. But fish species that swim all around the tank, when they hide, do they hide at the top, bottom, or just anywhere?
Also in some BRStv videos they mentioned that most fish settle for hiding places in visible areas so they only thinking that they are hiding, in that case we can see the fish while they are just hiding in some open arch or "behind" a rock which is actually next to the tank glass, which is great. But is it true?

I can't give you specifics, depending on individual temperment, fish to some degree will adapt to most aquarium conditions. But I'll point out saying "most" means some won't. (Is "most" 51%, 75% 90%?) Where a fish is able to establish it's territory and "safe place" varies depending on what space is left and it's ability to stand up to it's tankmate.

. . . Maybe its a better idea to decide during the process of the next few months which fish species can be added at that time and why

Thumps up emojii 50.png

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank will always have uglies. It's a natural process of balance.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks perfect! Your aquasqape has a lot more space between the rocks and the glass.
So would you suggest mine is too full? And perhaps the flow doesn't get through on the bottom? Or do you think it will work just fine?
I'm goin to use the redsea Reefwave 25 for flow. Any suggestions for how to place it in my aquascape?
I think if you can open up the bottom more to allow better flow, this will help with waste, I have two dead spots, I have 2 wavemakers either side so I'm unsure about reefwave, the 'red' are my dead spots, the right one is close to filter, the 'yellow' X. Is a cave but have a pistol shrimp there so it's constantly clean inside there :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_154338.jpg
    IMG_20220807_154338.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG20220807152514.jpg
    IMG20220807152514.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG20220807154357.jpg
    IMG20220807154357.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG20220807154408.jpg
    IMG20220807154408.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you can open up the bottom more to allow better flow, this will help with waste, I have two dead spots, I have 2 wavemakers either side so I'm unsure about reefwave, the 'red' are my dead spots, the right one is close to filter, the 'yellow' X. Is a cave but have a pistol shrimp there so it's constantly clean inside there :)

I did just see this reply after I changed my aquascape to this: see video attached

I added more arches and hiding places and a little more space in the middle, but now I'm not sure if it will allow enough flow at the bottom.
What you think?

Attachments

• Snapchat-1711392432.mp4
    27.7 MB
  • Snapchat-1711392432.mp4
    27.7 MB

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did just see this reply after I changed my aquascape to this: see video attached

I added more arches and hiding places and a little more space in the middle, but now I'm not sure if it will allow enough flow at the bottom.
What you think?
I think we have same/ similar rocks, the cave looking type has this like blob?? unsure how to describe, like a underhang inside, if you turn it over to see the inside it is basically a blob in middle of cave, I regret not removing this before fixing... Tried my best to screenshot from your video.
Yes remove this.
Other than that it's looking better in my opinion for flow :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_172952.jpg
    IMG_20220807_172952.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220807_173457.jpg
    IMG_20220807_173457.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220807_173425.jpg
    IMG_20220807_173425.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, your missing out on the most important attribute of wild live rock of all-the microorganisms (as in bacteria and other microbes you can't even begin to see)...I'll include a scientific paper detailing some of the bacteria naturally present in the ocean and in particular benthic substrates such as rock on reefs. There are 0 supplements for the vast majority of those benthic bacteria that form biofilm on live rock...in fact, the best microbiology labs in the world aren't even able to culture many of them! (Some would say a majority are actually non culturable.) If you want to establish as close to a natural microbiome as possible as quickly as possible wild live rock is pretty much your only option. Yes, there are plenty of amazing tanks using only dry rock but the benefits you and your livestock will reap from live rock will make it WELL worth it.

Okay so I'm finally convinced now of buying some live rock. I found another option from whitecorals germany

They import new live rock every few weeks/months. The rock from this link they say its the best they offer. It's also from indonesia and they have it for already 5 weeks. Should I wait for the next badge?
They claim its sprinkeled with water non-stop for good bacterial environment
I'm really not sure if I should order this or should wait for the next badge (which can take upto 2 months). Any advice is welcome

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I'm finally convinced now of buying some live rock. I found another option from whitecorals germany

They import new live rock every few weeks/months. The rock from this link they say its the best they offer. It's also from indonesia and they have it for already 5 weeks. Should I wait for the next badge?
They claim its sprinkeled with water non-stop for good bacterial environment
I'm really not sure if I should order this or should wait for the next badge (which can take upto 2 months). Any advice is welcome
Personally I like it as fresh as possible but it shouldn't make much of a difference at all. If it would take 2 months more go with what they have as long as it's wild collected live rock.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand,

So I have some questions upon that. Im now busy with adding some smaller arches and hiding places. Do fish generally like to hide more up or down in the aquarium? I don't mean fish that obviously only hide at the bottom. But fish species that swim all around the tank, when they hide, do they hide at the top, bottom, or just anywhere?
Also in some BRStv videos they mentioned that most fish settle for hiding places in visible areas so they only thinking that they are hiding, in that case we can see the fish while they are just hiding in some open arch or "behind" a rock which is actually next to the tank glass, which is great. But is it true?

Maybe its a better idea to decide during the process of the next few months which fish species can be added at that time and why
Mine hide towards the bottom. The only fish I have that hang out in little caves in the middle to top are my bicolor blenny and flame hawkfish. Though my blennies prefer their barnacles over hiding in the rocks. :) I love the scape!

Back