Need good starting settings for Icecap 1k gyre in a 40g breeder

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m installing a new Icecap 1k gyre in my 40g breeder. I could use some help setting it up. Should I start with a simple constant speed mode at 50% to see how it goes? It’s the only powerhead for the tank. I’m sure I’ll experiment in time with the pulsing modes but right now just want to get it up and running. The tank will be LPS, right now I just have one acan and some fish. I appreciate any help!!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a gradually increasing pulse mode.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be ackward to mount the gyre vertically?
It would with the rockwork the way it is. The flow horizontally hits everywhere. I’m just curious about variations in flow and tank health. Have you mounted it vertically? If so how did it work?

dannyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 12in in width, and a 3K gyre is 12.2”. I’m think of putting it vertically. Any takes on this idea? Sorry for piggyback riding your post.

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 1k gyre in my IM 30L - i run it at 100% random, but i've got SPS / zoas only. I've got very coarse / heavy black sand so not much movement even at 100%.

I will say to stick to a monthly cleaning routine though. Everyone's complaints about worn out gyre parts are usually due to poor maintenance. I break mine down every month and soak / clean everything.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@glb how to you like that 1k gyre? I am thinking of getting one for my 40b and want to know how it’s worked out for you.
I really like it. I have it at 20-30% and get good movement. Once I get more corals I’ll probably turn it up. It’s totally quiet. Great so far

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 27 41.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 27 41.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back