Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns have all died I’m down to

1 naso
1 yellowtang
8 chromis
2 squirrel fish
And our Randall’s goby

The naso is the only one presenting any symptoms now.

Is there anything to treat the tank whole or do I need to begin to catch the other fish? How long does the tank need to be fishless in order to rid it of any of these diseases?

OP
OP
Swfiend

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal this is a current video of the naso right now he’s still eating and seems to be clearing up but with the h202 bath I read a follow up bath is suggested? Would any other bath be worth doing?

Attachments

• IMG_0014.mov
    82.7 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal this is a current video of the naso right now he’s still eating and seems to be clearing up but with the h202 bath I read a follow up bath is suggested? Would any other bath be worth doing?

Oh, I didn't realize you were using a H2O2 bath, I thought you were using low dose additions to the tank itself.
What concentration and time did you use for the dip?

The trouble with all bath treatments is that without a clean tank to move the fish into afterwards, the fish just gets reinfected.

Jay

OP
OP
Swfiend

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I didn't realize you were using a H2O2 bath, I thought you were using low dose additions to the tank itself.
What concentration and time did you use for the dip?

The trouble with all bath treatments is that without a clean tank to move the fish into afterwards, the fish just gets reinfected.

Jay

I do h202 dosing in the display.

I also did a bath per humblefish guide

I have arranged to move fish into another tank that has no livestock but it does have rock and sand. How do I treat the fish prior to placing them in there so that I don’t carry over anything Also how long would the fishless timeframe in the main display be with the corals and inverts? Do I need to remove the shrimp aswell for fallow?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do h202 dosing in the display.

I also did a bath per humblefish guide

I have arranged to move fish into another tank that has no livestock but it does have rock and sand. How do I treat the fish prior to placing them in there so that I don’t carry over anything Also how long would the fishless timeframe in the main display be with the corals and inverts? Do I need to remove the shrimp aswell for fallow?

As I mentioned, H2O2 dosing in the display is tough to get to work - if you get the dose high enough to kill fish parasites, you’ll lose your shrimp and maybe other invertebrates.

If you can move the fish to another tank, you should use coppersafe or hyposalinity. Since the other tank has rocks and sand, hyposalinity would be easier. There is no way to keep 100% of the disease from moving over with the fish to the new tank, even high dose formalin or peroxide dips leave some parasites intact.

Shrimp need to stay with the other invertebrates while running fallow.

Jay

OP
OP
Swfiend

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned, H2O2 dosing in the display is tough to get to work - if you get the dose high enough to kill fish parasites, you’ll lose your shrimp and maybe other invertebrates.

If you can move the fish to another tank, you should use coppersafe or hyposalinity. Since the other tank has rocks and sand, hyposalinity would be easier. There is no way to keep 100% of the disease from moving over with the fish to the new tank, even high dose formalin or peroxide dips leave some parasites intact.

Shrimp need to stay with the other invertebrates while running fallow.

Jay
Ok so the shrimp can’t support flukes or any other parasites correct?

With hypo in the other tank what should I lower salinity to? It’s currently at 1.025 and my display is 1.026

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the shrimp can’t support flukes or any other parasites correct?

With hypo in the other tank what should I lower salinity to? It’s currently at 1.025 and my display is 1.026

Correct - fish parasites cannot live on shrimp or other invertebrates. the idea wiht running fallow is that eventually, all of the fish parasites die out due to a lack of a host.

Here is a post on hyposalinity:

Jay

OP
OP
Swfiend

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update I did a rally pro dip as discribed prior to transfer into next tank and the bottom of the bucket was speckled with what I believe are flukes. I don’t have or have access to a microscope to verify but bucket had small clear or white things that were 1/3rd the side of the black dots along with some bigger black or grey specs
IMG_0099.jpeg
IMG_0097.jpeg

The naso is the only one who I’ve been able to catch out of the display and move. He doesn’t look good, sticking himself into the rocks and refusing to eat.

Now one of my squirrels has Something going on with his eye. I need to get a fish trap to get the rest of the fish out into the hypo tank or I might just have to take the beating from the wife and set up a tank to do copper in
IMG_0146.jpeg
IMG_0139.jpeg
IMG_0134.jpeg
IMG_0131.jpeg
IMG_0133.jpeg
IMG_0113.jpeg
IMG_0147.jpeg
IMG_0145.jpeg

@Jay Hemdal is this ich now showing up?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update I did a rally pro dip as discribed prior to transfer into next tank and the bottom of the bucket was speckled with what I believe are flukes. I don’t have or have access to a microscope to verify but bucket had small clear or white things that were 1/3rd the side of the black dots along with some bigger black or grey specs
IMG_0099.jpeg
IMG_0097.jpeg

The naso is the only one who I’ve been able to catch out of the display and move. He doesn’t look good, sticking himself into the rocks and refusing to eat.

Now one of my squirrels has Something going on with his eye. I need to get a fish trap to get the rest of the fish out into the hypo tank or I might just have to take the beating from the wife and set up a tank to do copper in
IMG_0146.jpeg
IMG_0139.jpeg
IMG_0134.jpeg
IMG_0131.jpeg
IMG_0133.jpeg
IMG_0113.jpeg
IMG_0147.jpeg
IMG_0145.jpeg

I don't see any evidence of ich - that would look like distinct, salt sized white spots on the fish's body and fins. The squirrelfish may have just damaged its eye - they are prone to running into things when scared.

I can't tell from your photos if there are flukes in the dip water or not. Only one species, Neobenedenia is large enough to see without a microscope - it looks like a gray fish scale or sesame seed.

Jay

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0099.jpeg
IMG_0097.jpeg

IMG_0146.jpeg
IMG_0139.jpeg
IMG_0134.jpeg
IMG_0131.jpeg
IMG_0133.jpeg
IMG_0113.jpeg
IMG_0147.jpeg
IMG_0145.jpeg

Man I can feel your frustration as I was reading this, good luck!

OP
OP
Swfiend

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any evidence of ich - that would look like distinct, salt sized white spots on the fish's body and fins. The squirrelfish may have just damaged its eye - they are prone to running into things when scared.

I can't tell from your photos if there are flukes in the dip water or not. Only one species, Neobenedenia is large enough to see without a microscope - it looks like a gray fish scale or sesame seed.

Jay

IMG_0094.jpeg
IMG_0095.jpeg
IMG_0098.jpeg
IMG_0099.jpeg

@Jay Hemdal
These are the specks in the bottom of the bucket very small like a pen mark makes if u just tap a paper.

He has several distinct spots on his eye
IMG_0145.jpeg
IMG_0139.jpeg
IMG_0146.jpeg

Still the piggiest fish in the tank missing no food and eating everything that comes near the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0094.jpeg
IMG_0095.jpeg
IMG_0098.jpeg
IMG_0099.jpeg

@Jay Hemdal
These are the specks in the bottom of the bucket very small like a pen mark makes if u just tap a paper.

He has several distinct spots on his eye
IMG_0145.jpeg
IMG_0139.jpeg
IMG_0146.jpeg

Still the piggiest fish in the tank missing no food and eating everything that comes near the tank.
Well, I just don’t see any flukes in the dip. If the squirrel was the fish that was dipped, the spots on its eyes are not flukes, as those would have fallen off.
There are flukes that are smaller than Neobenedenia, and you need a microscope to see those.
Here is what Neobenedenia looks like:
1700610709919.jpeg

Jay

OP
OP
Swfiend

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just don’t see any flukes in the dip. If the squirrel was the fish that was dipped, the spots on its eyes are not flukes, as those would have fallen off.
There are flukes that are smaller than Neobenedenia, and you need a microscope to see those.
Jay

The fish dipped was the naso tang who did the transfer but he didn’t react well to the dip or transfer and after 48 hours in the other tank he passed away.

The spots on the squirrel only on his eye. Hopefully he heals up

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back